L144 not L144?

kylefish02

It would be a fool to try, particularly the Ancistrus genus.

It also shows the exponential growth in interest that plecs as a whole have had in the hobby here and overseas.

It is amazing to think that only 5-7 yrs ago the array of plecs we could have got into the country with barely a whisper.But then, you would have found perhaps a handful of people that were interested.

If only we knew!!!!! AKA= the 'Hindsight Chesnut'

I was thinking (after reading a thread on MFK about names and varieties of cichlids) about how the internet has changed the way fish are named in this hobby. In the "old days" it was left up the the experts, and if we wanted to know something we looked at pictures in a book and compared traits and assumed that the experts had got it right. Now it seems that every forum has god a bunch of "amateur experts", with varying degrees of knowledge and strong opinions, who love to argue about the correct names for fish that haven't yet been formally named. There have been many multi-page threads on MFK arguing about what is the "true green terror", and I'm sure there are countless similar cases with african cichlids and catfish.

Correct identification is an important part of our hobby, but common names certainly do have a place. It is much better to admit you are unsure about the true identity of a fish (especially breeding and selling) than perpetuate misinformation by "having a go" at identifying it based on your limited knowledge. There seems to be a big push towards having wild caught and rare fish rather than the prettiest/most attractive fish. This seems to be fuelling the name-makers to come up with different varieties/localities when ever possible, and people often seem to put more emphasis on the name/rarity rather than the appearance of the fish. Combined with the average hobbyists appalling grasp of Latin nomenclature, it seems we've ended up with a bunch of amateurs fiercely debating the identities of fish that taxonomists are likely to consider the same thing, mainly because importers/wholesers/retailers would rather make more sales by offering a different variety with a different name that can be argued about on an internet forum.

I was thinking (after reading a thread on MFK about names and varieties of cichlids) about how the internet has changed the way fish are named in this hobby..

I think it is fair to say David the internet has changed more than this.

I agree with what you are saying in as much that, in pre internet days 'Discernment', 'Historical context', and 'Reputable Resouce' were the set of skills needed.

They still are.

But now, as with our fish, the more hands information travels through the more chance information has to loose purity.

The internet is a giant game of Chinese whispers, played by an ever increasing number of players, who have had an Ear to Mouth connection with a brain bypass.

A wonderful environment for those who can use it for their gain.

• 3 weeks later...