seachem flourish excel??????

Vjarn

hi, went to the lps today and double checked that if i put doubledose of it in it would get rid of all my bb algae and hair algae, they said that double dose mite kill my fish

just want to tripple check with you guys, can you doubledose with fish still in it?

can some one tell me step by step instructions as i dont wont to kill my fish, cheers

it all depends on what fish you have , some are not that great with a double dose but most are fine , if you put it in have stuff ready to do a water change with by the tank, i always do that when im trying something new.

you will see within the first few mins if the fish arent happy.

i havent had a problem with it yet .... touch wood

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't his stuff a ferterliser? Most algae's are there because of too many or an imbalance of nutients in the water, why would you add more?? IMHO you need to find out why you are getting the algae before randomly adding stuff to your water. You might clear the algae for a short time but it will just come back, in the mean time you'll clog you filters with dead algae and cause yourself more problems.

IMHO the best (only) way to combat algae is to get the plants to use the nutients so the algae starves. To this end you have to have the correct balance of light, nutients, CO2.

On a four foot planted tank I run 4X4' fluor's (of the correct type). Looking at the colour and "brightness" of the plants can be a good way of knowing if you have enough.

Take a good look at your plants, look for small holes in the leaves, brown edges, things that doesn't look healthy, there are charts on the web that will tell you what nutients you are missing.

CO2's is a bit harder, but it is possible to DIY with yeast, CO2 is the closest thing to plant magic!

Tank looks great to me! How long has it been setup? If it's been going for less than 6 months I wouldn't worry about the algae it can take a long time for a tank to find its balance, plus you will alway have some just a fact of life. Do you have good filters running? I run 2x204's on my 4 foot, took one off for a few months and noticed the algae increased so put it back on, within a week all good again.

hi, well,....its been properly set up for about 3-4 months, i've notice those plants on the outside have really taken off, i run a viaaqua, the biggest one, it does 1200l/hr, a millenium filter which is connected to the leftside of the under G filter, a wavemaker connected to the right side of the under G filter.

Very nice tank,as yet i do not have a communtiy tank setup but will change that soon. I would not reccommend double dossing on the Flourish, If you look at the bottle it says "DO NOT OVER DOSS", as it could be fatal to your fish, i spose you have to ask yourself, would you rather kill your fish to get good growth outta your plants, or keep your fish, but get little growth outta them? i would go with the standard doss per 40l.

Cheers

Shae 250

Hollywood Fish Farm told me to double dose with Flourish once, I did and it turns the algae white & kills it. It didn't harm my fish but at the time I just had platies & guppies mainly! But I'm afraid it all came back again eventually!

Since then I have managed to keep it more or less at bay by dosing with Aqua Master Algae Cure every two weeks and picking out the gravel it grows on and putting it in the sun for awhile.

I've also used flourish excel to get rid of black beard algae - it was only the first step in the plan though - the next was to get black line flying foxes (aka Siamese algae eaters) to keep it under control (they just couldn't deal with the amount already in the tank - hence using flourish excel to tame it first). No black algae problems now.

Hi-I have used Flourish Excel to get rid of BB algae without problem. I followed the recommendations re-double dosing to start with followed by weekly doses and use the appropriate amount after water changes. No deaths! I have a variety of tetras, Green barbs, Gourami's, Bristlenose, Threadfin, Dwarf Chain Loaches, one Chocolate Gourami (the other 2 died from unknown causes before trying the FE). I have had no further outbreaks of BB algae.

I am an advocate for using flourish excel as an answer to BB algae. However I use it at the recommended dosing and that controls my algae. It also leaves money in my pocket.

I'm not sure who started the rumour to double dose, but I would think if the manufacturer says "do not overdose" one would assume there was a reason for this. 1) It does it's job at the recommended dose, and 2) it is not likely to harm the fish.

I'm not sure who started the rumour to double dose, but I would think if the manufacturer says "do not overdose" one would assume there was a reason for this. 1) It does it's job at the recommended dose, and 2) it is not likely to harm the fish.

But getting rid of black hair algae is NOT it's job! It is only recommended to double dose to get rid of the algae. It's normal job is as an organic carbon source for the planted aquarium.

Double dosing does not harm the fish either.

I picked up a new algae destroyer at my local pet shop a couple of days ago, I haven't seen this one before and wondered if anyone else knew anything about it.

It's called 'Algae Destroyer Liquid' from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc, an American company.

It says it's an environmental hazard, hazardous to humans and domestic animals, discharging it into lakes, ponds or flowing water. It is also a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labelling!

After all that I was really hesitant to use it but after paying $27.35 for it I wasn't going to throw it away (besides that's against the law too!).

So in it went but I didn't realise it was so viscous and it didn't dissolve straight away - one of my angels thought it was dinner and took a big slurp of it - oh oh I thought that's him done for - but so far he seems okay two days later.

It remains to be seen whether it will get rid of the black hair algae though - some of the stones are still covered in it!

I picked up a new algae destroyer at my local pet shop a couple of days ago, I haven't seen this one before and wondered if anyone else knew anything about it.

It's called 'Algae Destroyer Liquid' from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc, an American company.

It says it's an environmental hazard, hazardous to humans and domestic animals, discharging it into lakes, ponds or flowing water. It is also a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labelling!

It remains to be seen whether it will get rid of the black hair algae though - some of the stones are still covered in it!

it works on algaes but not all algaes ... it has been round for years and years but lost of shops dont sell it, it is good but i was like you when i first read the back it stopped me from useing it. give it a go but its not ment to work on black/red algaes