Mother in law just came around for mothers day and bought Avatar with her, not really a movie I was very interested in but I was quite surprised.

The FX where of course incredible but the story took me by surprise, it's been done a million times for sure (Pocahontas springs to mind) but I was pleased to see a FX heavy movie with an actual story, I found myself really caring about the people and planet.

it reeked to me of the amazon situation.....

i think it would've struck a chord with many of the fish keepers here...

but the story took me by surprise, it's been done a million times for sure (Pocahontas springs to mind) but I was pleased to see a FX heavy movie with an actual story, I found myself really caring about the people and planet.

uhhhhh yeah........cos where humans go into a chamber where their mind is then transported into an alien creature which they can then control has been done before.......! ugh, annoyin how everyone says this...

it reeked to me of the amazon situation.....

i think it would've struck a chord with many of the fish keepers here...

uhhhhh yeah........cos where humans go into a chamber where their mind is then transported into an alien creature which they can then control has been done before.......! ugh, annoyin how everyone says this...

The basis of all stories is called a plot, of which only 7 exist. the plot line is the bread and butter or base material of the story, eg,

1 - [wo]man vs. nature

2 - [wo]man vs. man

3 - [wo]man vs. the environment

4 - [wo]man vs. machines/technology

5 - [wo]man vs. the supernatural

6 - [wo]man vs. self

7 - [wo]man vs. god/religion

that is what I was referring to when I said it has been done before, perhaps you should turn off your TV and pick up a book before you try telling people how to suck eggs?

cos where humans go into a chamber where their mind is then transported into an alien creature which they can then control has been done before.......! ugh, annoyin how everyone says this...

Surrogates, released September 2009

The matrix, March 1999

video games, 1961

UAVs, first somewhere around 1916

Demonic posession, sometime BC.

Those are the first handful that come to mind, the concept of remote control is far from a new idea.

I don't really care if it's it's a story that has been done before, it's a story that's well told and looks great. If I was wanting a huge in depth plot I have TV series or books.

I quite enjoyed the movie - thought it was a mix of Dances with Wolves and Ferngully...

There is another film theory that prevails, Tzvetan Todorov's theory of - equilibrium, disequilibrium, new equilibrium.

Where the main character begins the movie in equilibrium, an event/s cause disequilibrium, forcing the main character into conflict (either with self or others) the result forming a new equilibrium.

pocahontas and Avatar really do share a LOT in common. this was sent to me on my facebook.. it's an image of a run down of the pocahontas story .. with minor editing done to become avatar.. funny.

John Smith becomes Jake Sully who arrives by ship in a new world with the ultimate goal of mining the areas resources.. the story unfolds and you can see direct parallels to the ever formulaic pocohantas

http://3dvision-blog.com/wp-content/upl ... avatar.jpg

that's just the vehicle to tell the story.. the story is still the same.

I've seen it around 10 times already and I still enjoy it.

There are still bits I see and wondered, why I hadn't seen it before?

Is it old age or is it me? :-?

That was a rhetorical question, no need to answer it :lol:

I think it is a great movie.

Yes 'Dances with Wolves' X 'Fern Gully' X 'Pocohontas'.

But I don't think it pretends to be anything more than that.

Fantasy with a message that my 8 yr old can enjoy with Her Dad as we allow

ourselves the indulgence of wishing we could catch and fly dragons.

Perhaps this movie is the wrong vehicle for practicing Critical and Cultural 'one up manship"

I found it more like Ferngully then anything else...but yeah it doesn't matter it was still awesome to see. Loved the bioluminesence and creatures.

pocahontas and Avatar really do share a LOT in common. this was sent to me on my facebook.. it's an image of a run down of the pocahontas story .. with minor editing done to become avatar.. funny.

John Smith becomes Jake Sully who arrives by ship in a new world with the ultimate goal of mining the areas resources.. the story unfolds and you can see direct parallels to the ever formulaic pocohantas

http://3dvision-blog.com/wp-content/upl ... avatar.jpg

I didn't get motionsick but my eyes were sore for the last hour. Some of the action scenes were ever so slightly choppy with the 3D.

I hear a lot of people who watched in 3D got motionsick in some of the scenes. Anyone here have that problem?

The 3D didn't bother me, except that my head was not fat enough to keep the glasses on my head properly!

Interestingly a lot of the 'plants' appeared to be modeled off marine inverts.

I hear a lot of people who watched in 3D got motionsick in some of the scenes. Anyone here have that problem?

There are people that get motionsick reading a book. That's an issue of people being broken, not the technology.

my eyes felt like I had welders burn after watching it in 3D.

Blink.

There are people that get motionsick reading a book. That's an issue of people being broken, not the technology.

Blink.

Surely if technology has fundamental issues in catering for biological realities then the issue is the technology.

I just think Ira is being subtly and cleverly ironic in commenting about human's ability to deal with technology and the relationship between biology and technology when put into context of this thread's subject. :wink: