Age restrictions for buying fish

firefish

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty common and a good idea.

I talked to a pet shop owner once that started an age restriction after a handful of kids came in and bought a handful of goldfish. He went outside a little bit later to find the kids happily smacking the goldfish on the sidewalk.

how old are you?

My 13 year old daughter tried to buy a goldfish at LFS and they turned her down too. I think it's good to exclude under 16 .. but over that age is working age! 18 is certainly old enough IMO. At 18 I bought my first cockatiel with no adult about.

I realise that some children would abuse the animals but that is a small percentage of all that would buy fish.

I think that 16 would be a more resonable age limit to have - if they have to have an age limit.

In a couple of weeks i'm 20 (but apparently I look young for my age)

If I was refused the right to buy a fish (which I never have been) I'd argue my point. But I do realise that I, like many of the younger members on here, am not representative of the general population unfortunately :(

ive never heard of fish being refused sale but most other pets yes imagine being a parent and your kid comes home with a rat or two much to your dislike possibly :-? then you get angry at the kid and take them back to the pet shop i think its more to avoid this one lps has a note saying if you are under 16 a signed note from your parents must be produced , then it appears to be added afterwards 'with a home phone number" too easy to forge i guess

haha I remember I had to go home and tell mum to ring a store in the hutt to give her permission for me to buy my puppy, I was 18 at the time too but apparently I needed the house owner's permission...but like seriously if you were going to spend near $2000 on a pet you would be more than prepared to look after it well especially when you live in your own house :roll: it took more than 2 hours to buy my puppy

no. im happy to it took that long. lots of non residents try buying dogs as well, or used to. now that's not allowed either.

they used to leave the animals in the spca and go back to where ever was home for them.

we repeatedly hear horror stories of people who pay the $2000 plus and still treat animals like crud and don't take care of them.

i think this is a good rule but if you are like me I'm 14 and i know how to look after a fish quit well so in some cases i wouldn't be able to buy a fish that's $100-$500 dollars because I'm not old enough ? and i think if i was spending that much money on 1 fish i would have to know what I'm doing :)

but for the pet shops it is a good rule to an extent :wink:

we repeatedly hear horror stories of people who pay the $2000 plus and still treat animals like crud and don't take care of them.

Heard one at the SPCA once. Man bought a pair of Great Dane puppies or similar. Once he realised how huge they were getting, he turned them in for free :o

I work at a pet store. We have an age restriction of 16 for all animals! And we have the right to refuse a sale to anyone who we see as unfit.

We also have contracts that we get people to sign to ensure they know how to look after their pet, so it's not a rash decision and they need the owner of the properties permisson, have to be a New Zealand resident etc.

These rules are to protect the animals.... i am for these age restrictions

I also work at a vet/pet shop, the age restriction we have is set at 18 which I think is a great idea.

Altho some of the 15/16 year olds that come in looking for a $5 goldfish are sometimes more knowledgeable and trustworthy than some of the adults that come in looking for a $1000 puppy.

I'd assume most people on here know a fair bit more about fish than the average five year old. Just talk to the staff in a very technical and complicated manner and they'll know you're legit :wink:

I'd assume most people on here know a fair bit more about fish than the average five year old. Just talk to the staff in a very technical and complicated manner and they'll know you're legit :wink:

Or think that you are trying to prove that you are smarter than them. Your idea may make them want to serve you less :D:D

Or think that you are trying to prove that you are smarter than them. Your idea may make them want to serve you less :D:D

Hey, if it was up to me the LFS would implement the "pick 'n' mix" system.

Choose the fish, bag said fish, write the code of the fish on the bag and then purchase that fish 8)

Choose the fish, bag said fish, write the code of the fish on the bag and then purchase that fish 8)

Except then all the morons out there would end up squishing a fish or two in the process.

Hmm, bag up half a dozen fancy plecs, write the code for bristlenose on the bag, find ignorant looking staff.......