Fluval FX5 or Eheim PRO 3 2075 Which is better??

cichlid7

could you plumb in the auto changer into the canister piping & buy a canister with an in built heater? :D

Good idea. I have thought of that. Was wondering if it would be worthwhile to run a drip system and an overflow to simplify the water change system and get it out of the filter/sump altogether. I have never had a canister with a built-in heater, but that isn't a bad idea. There goes the FX5 idea though right?

I have been contemplating this issue recently and was really thinking of going with a canister instead of a sump again because I like the idea of it being easier to clean...

Canister easier to clean than a sump???? All I do to clean my sump is pull the old wool out and replace it with new wool, far easier than any canister.

You could set up a drip system or auto water changer with a canister filter by drilling the tank and having an overflow (as you would with a sump) that drains to waste, no need to have a sump.

Canister easier to clean than a sump???? All I do to clean my sump is pull the old wool out and replace it with new wool, far easier than any canister.

Much easier to carry the cannister to the sink than it is to carry a sump to the sink.

From the FX5 folder:

For aquariums of up to 1.500 litres.

Pump performance 2.300 litres

(3.500 litres - without load) per hour.

5.9 litres of filtering volume.

So I assume (I know :)) that is with and without filter media

What about a Aqua One CF2400? You can get them a for under $400

- Suitable for aquariums up to 800 litres.

- Canister filter size: 40H x 33D x 33W cm.

- Maximum head height 2.0 metres.

- 2 year guarantee.

- Suitable for cold water, tropical and marine.

- Includes bonus filter media.

- Quiet, energy efficient and powerful.

- Modular design enables additional filtration media to be added.

- Simple to install with quick release hoses for easy maintenance.

- Heavy duty, easy to use clips ensuring water tight seal.

- Filtration baskets, with seperation grids for various filtration media allowing efficient three stage filtration.

3 Year Warranty

*Special order item

Kinda like suggesting a daewoo in a discussion about weather to go for Audi or BMW...

If it works and is nice and quiet then why not. The only thing that the other two have over it is an ego. I have the CF2400 on a 440L tank and it is more than enough. It sits right next to me on the couch and I can not hear it. I believe it also hold more media then the other two but has a similar flow rate.

I had a look and they seem to be about the same profoemance wise and the warranty is the same for all. For what it is worth you could buy two CF2400's for the price of an FX5

FX5 - 2300L/h, 5.9L Capacity, 3 year warranty and sutiable for up 1500L aquarium

Pro3 2075 - 1250L/h, 9.2L Capacity, 3 year warranty and sutiable for up 600L aquarium

CF2400 - 2400L/h, 22L Capacity, 3 year warranty and sutiable for up 800L aquarium

Caryl is right, longevity and reliability are not something aquaone is famous for. I've heard of eheim pumps running with out so much as even a clean (let alone having impellers replaced) for longer than aquaone have been making filters. There are also other factors, I'd put money on an Eheim 2000LPH filter flowing more than an aquaone 2000LPH filter after 12 months....

Caryl is right, longevity and reliability are not something aquaone is famous for. I've heard of eheim pumps running with out so much as even a clean (let alone having impellers replaced) for longer than aquaone have been making filters. There are also other factors, I'd put money on an Eheim 2000LPH filter flowing more than an aquaone 2000LPH filter after 12 months....

And the eheim I had wouldn't even keep running on an empty tank without a weekly cleaning and didn't flow worth a damn anyway.

And my "Daewoo" CF1200s have been more reliable and quieter my fluval 404s ever were, so much that I've thrown the broken non-working 404s in the trash, so I'm not exactly confident of Fluval's reliability either.

Its more about the filtration than the flow rate isnt it ? Its no good if the waters just wizing past the bio media rather than flowing through it picking up the good bactria. Where ehiems baskets are all sealed up together and water cant flow round the outside of the baskets. At this stage im sitting the ehiem side of the fence and thinking of paying the extra $200 for the quality

Its more about the filtration than the flow rate isnt it ? Its no good if the waters just wizing past the bio media rather than flowing through it picking up the good bactria. Where ehiems baskets are all sealed up together and water cant flow round the outside of the baskets. At this stage im sitting the ehiem side of the fence and thinking of paying the extra $200 for the quality

Interesting. I have been contemplating the same things and watching this with interest. I am a real fan of Eheim and had been considering the 'wizzing past the substrate' issues with the FX5 as well. I am now actually leaning toward the FX5, here is why:

1. Filtration is good but a lot of beneficial bacteria is in the tank, substrate, etc. etc. so the filter is likely to be sufficient for the bioload, regardless - in other words, it isn't really an issues in this comparison.

2. Aerobic bacteria are very beneficial in the nitrogen cycle and with increased flow, there is better oxygen availablity - in lieu of a wet/dry sump, this is potentially the next best thing.

3. I have noticed significant benefits to high flow with respect to plant growth and often with fish health as well - just my observations but I don't want to fix what isn't broken.

Going to buy next week so I need to decide for sure ASAP. :roll:

To help JenniferH I will throw this into the mix as well.

With my fx5 I find that adding extra sponge filters (either under or over the media in each basket) causes the filter to slow right down and collect air which then bubbles noisily into the tank - not a constant bubble and noise but periodically. However, take out the sponge filtering and its away again. Maybe it wasn't designed for extra sponges.

Don't get me wrong I love my fx5 but my 2200 was just as efficient at keeping the water clear and the sump I had prior to that was brilliant. It does boil down with cannisters to how much media you want to use. :D

[And the eheim I had wouldn't even keep running on an empty tank without a weekly cleaning and didn't flow worth a damn anyway.

And my "Daewoo" CF1200s have been more reliable and quieter my fluval 404s ever were, so much that I've thrown the broken non-working 404s in the trash, so I'm not exactly confident of Fluval's reliability either.

Interesting, I've had a 700lph Eheim and Aquaone running side by side on the same tank and there is a noticeable difference.

With the Fluval vs daewoo thing, are you comparing models of the same vintage? Its no secret that a modern daewoo will be more reliable than a classic bmw....

If I was to compare the Fluval 404 on the 200L thank to the CF2400 on the 440L tank I would have to say that the 404 is clearly the Lada.

I have not had an FX5 but the 404 is horrible. The seals are average at best. Putting it back together after cleaning is difficult.

why compare a filter that is no longer made to one that is still going strong?

I used it as a comparison because it is the first and last Fluval I will buy and they are about the same age (I think). If someone wants to give me one to prove to me they are good I will be happy try it :wink:

The 405's are actually the best filters I have. I also run an eheim 2028, and I think the 405's are the overall winners. Better hoses, cheaper parts, equally silent, easy to prime, easy to clean...

They are all silent.

The plant tanks at animates here are castle tanks. We normally use an eheim pro III 2080? (largest one) on one of them and another eheim on the other castle tank. recently we put a fluval 405 on the other castle tank, and its actually gruntier than the pro III. The fillters are run side by side and are subject to the same conditions.