Finally happy with tank layout - Update 22/04/2011

phoenix44

No...

Week of Dec 11 (or the week before) was the last day I used comprehensive. Then I think Dec 18 is when I dosed with the macros I mixed up. First nitrate mix went in yesterday morning.

Basically I've been doing the whole - I can beat flourish comprehensive routine.

Also; I have no test kits :lol: I should go and either get a master test kit or take some water to animates.

On a side note that means that plant I've grown for Adrienne has taken exactly 10 days to grow from when the flower first appeared :o

I'll have to email you in a while.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it's definitely not broken, but go back and review your tank from 4-6 months ago and see how it is improving. Four months ago you had zero nitrates, some algae and some signs of deficiencies.

I have 0 phosphate and 0 Nitrate and still get a little stagorn. :evil:
From this thread.

Now things are so much better, don't you think? If nutrients are optimised, just imagine what you could accomplish. :wink:

So, a couple of questions come to mind, where are the nitrates coming from? It doesn't matter too much but it would be helpful to know just so you can adjust nitrate dosages accordingly. If you aren't adding any, I would suspect it is from the increased stocking levels and feeding. It would be good to check the nitrates over the course of the day to ensure they don't dip to nil. Someone yesterday just told me that they did a water change, added nitrate and tested at the end of the day to find that all the nitrates were used up already. A good thing to know so doses can be adjusted to suit the needs of the tank.

I just added more comprehensive at that time and CO2 and the staghorn was banished. You don't get it. That staghorn was single handedly the most devastating thing that happened to this tank. I lost almost all my fish overnight when I tried killing it. I never want any thing like that to happen again, so at this point I'd just rather not mess with too many things and risk it all.

I'll monitor the levels and all but seeing as I have only just added the nitrate yesterday I'll have to see how things go.

That staghorn was single handedly the most devastating thing that happened to this tank. .... so at this point I'd just rather not mess with too many things and risk it all.

Fair enough. Just remember that it was when you added hydrogen peroxide to eradicate the algae that the fish died; it wasn't fertilisers that caused any problems, in fact, it was when you started adding ferts that the algae finally stayed away. It is always better to treat the cause than just the symptom...well, for that matter, prevention is better than a cure!

The Flourish comprehensive has a good profile of micros and macros but alone it will not provide enough macros to support optimal growth in a high tech tank.

Your tanks are always lovely, imagine if they were the best they could be. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on the same mission......my school of 30 just doesn't look big enough anymore.

I know! It's crazy! There are 50 or more in the tank now, and there are times where I see only about 20-30 of them.

Maybe If I up numbers to 100 it'll look a bit better.

Pics of your cardinals! :D