Webcamming my tank

nightwlf

So I have now mostly established my 19L tank at work, and put an ornament in (though it really does seem quite large now that it's in there..). I also found an old webcam on my desk at work that was missing its download cable, so smashed it open and wired a new cord onto the circuit, imagine my surprise when everything still worked! I found some software that will update the page whenever movement is detected by the cam, though this does lead to a lot of 'oh there goes his tail as he leaves the frame' pictures.

Click to maybe see Edgar the plec!

The camera is pointing at the bottom of the filter as thats where he likes to hide, I will update this thread with some higher res pictures of the rest of the tank later on.

Oop there he is!! oh now he's gone....

There he is again!

Very cool :)

How many megabites does it upload per hour to run this sorta thing? I was looking into setting up a live webcam on my aquarium which i could access by logging onto a site, but my upload usage would go through the roof :(

Heh I've set it back to just a 2 minute upload, because I want to log in this evening and see if the timer actually does turn the light off!!

It looks like it has used about 7 mb over the four and a half hours it's been running, the photos are only 16kb each or something.

Heh I've set it back to just a 2 minute upload, because I want to log in this evening and see if the timer actually does turn the light off!!

It looks like it has used about 7 mb over the four and a half hours it's been running, the photos are only 16kb each or something.

round up to 20K/pic and every 2 minutes would be about 446megs/month. Hardly enough to worry about.

he sure does, he's really quite shy. the corners of his tail are quite pale, maybe you can keep a lookout for that.

it looks like the camera had crashed by the time i got in this morning, not too sure why. c'est la vie i suppose!