deformed turtle hatchs.

repto

torts2010.jpg

this poor little guy hatched out the other day.The last of the season,he took ages and now I can see why?he looks like someone got the pieces of a jigsaw mixed up and appears to have carapace scutes on his back?he was hatched at low end temps which was a surprise to me as have only seen this sort of thing with high end temps?

A brick now thats raw lol :lol:

I thought putting stuff in freezers were classed as "cruelty" these days?

from wiki

Unlike humans who fall asleep and die from the freezing temperatures, fish can actually feel the ice crystals forming on their skin causing immense pain and suffering before death. Fish do not pass out from cold as humans would and tend to live for hours at extreme temperatures before death.

Dont know as not a scientist but would a brick be nicer seems so harsh ahahahahah

reptiles have the ability to shut down through lower tempss etc for brumation or hibernation

so the other valid point would be that it would not feel anything in this state

the counter arguement would be that this happens over a long time period

but would an enforced vrumation create the same effect in a shorter period

ie" by the time it started to freeze would it already have shut down

i love sitting here arguing with myself

and no popcorn :evil:

there is a difference between arguing and discussing :wink:

it is an interesting one on how to cull. probably well worth a discussion. .

i know ive wondered what people's stance was on this in the past.

i thought most things cold blooded were best to be put in the freezer but i dunno where i get that from.

i think a decent bang on the head is probably best. freezer seems ok and for me would be the nicer option as appose to banging it on the head.

never had a problem disposing of fish..they just go to the turtles. is that cruel, or just putting them to good use?

jeez whats with the arguments these days?

could say jeez whats with people being so up tight and taking things the wrong way :lol:

I was trying to make a point not start a prayer meeting (that was an attempt at humour). I think it is a valid point on the basis of what Livingart was saying. I had some deformed baby beardies (hatching humidity too low I think) a while ago which I put in the freezer but I would not consider doing that with fish. I was wondering if my reasoning was valid.

that is a good question,

in the past i have put turtles in the fridge first for a few hours then put them in the freezer

i worked on the fact that in the wild they crawl into semi insulated spot for overnight temp drop then crawl out as the day warms up

in the middle of a cold night i have picked up wild reps and got very little response out of them

easiest way to catch them