Re-silicone or not?

Jennifer

I got this new (used) 3 1/2 foot tank today and I know it holds water. It seems to be in good condition but the silicone is a little tatty but I think it is all just superficial (e.g. there is algae staining that I think is unattractive). The glass is very heavy and so I don't really have confidence that I can re-silicone it myself (I have never done it before). Should I just forget it, or is it a job that should be fairly easy and relatively inexpensive to get redone (by myself, or preferably with experienced help)?

It depends how bad it is, I have plenty of tanks with the dodgiest silicone on them going fine for ages but they are in the fishroom in the garage so not too concerned about leaks I would think twice (or even 3 times) about filling them inside the house.

I would re seal it, it is quite easy, goto a glassier and get a stiff backed razor and scrape the old silicone off, I would just remove one side at a time to replace all the silicone around the join, clean the glass up with some solvents (meths or something will do) then stick a good bead of silicone down spit on your finger (or use detergent in water) and spread it all out. You can get really keen and mask it before you put the silicone on. Meths will take off any slip ups you make and if you really hash it up then just let it dry and cut it out again :) It is well worth giving a go..

Failing that I am sure you will find a willing/able volunteer down there or someone you can pay to do the job but I would just give it a go at the end of the day you are only going to waste a little bit of silicone if you mess it up and you might be really good at it :)

Hmmm, well, it seems very solid, just a bit moth eaten around the edges of the silicone.

I guess I might give it a go then but I am a little worried about the weight of a sheet of this glass. :roll: Do I need any special silicone?

An interesting subject. My 4ft tank is over 10 years old (possibly over 15+ - time flies :roll: ) and the silicone is coming away ragged on the edges and now a bit thin in places. I think next time I strip the tank for a plant cleanout I might get it down to the glazier and have it totally resealed. I gather silicone doesn't last forever :-?

I am unaware of any silicones that come with more than a 10 year warrentte and some have 5

i have used mapei silicones for swimming pool tile grouting which had a long gaurantee which i cannot remember exactly what it is but it was 10 years or maybe more.

i have used mapei silicones for swimming pool tile grouting which had a long gaurantee which i cannot remember exactly what it is but it was 10 years or maybe more.

I would be most supprise if it was more than 10 simply because they dont have to give more

The double glazing system I have "invented" I would be dissapointed if it lasted less than 50 years but I still only give 10 years as you cant gaurentee that people will do the maintence that should be the norm

If you do find that gaurantee is more than 10, could you let me know please as I will see if any of their products would be suitable for things we do

Thanks

I was not thinking in terms of "guarantee", just how long I could expect it to hold under normal conditions. Methinks I will get it re-sealed next time I strip it. Better safe than sorry.

Unfortunately it is built into a wall unit (in fact the unit was designed around the tank) so I can't take the opportunity of making it bigger either. Oh well, still talking about a 6ft for the computer room :wink:

if you use a silicone that has a long gaurantee then you are more likely to not have to re-silicone it until after that gaurantee period has passed so there's more of a chance it will last alot longer which would be nice especially with it being a pain to remove in the first place. :)