Can it be done?

maoripho3nix

Hey all,

Wasnt sure where to post this.

In the future I am looking at doing a Native Biotope. Inspiration of it comes from a visit I had to Tarawera River (Where it starts from the lake end), and also to the Lion Park in Rotorua (the trout pools).

To add to the authenticity of the biotope, I was wondering if anyone had any info/success/method of making the tank water that blue/turquoise colour.

Here or Here

Going along the guide lines that people do this as a blackwater biotope.......can that turquoise colour be done in a tank? Or is it just spring water + depth + light that makes it that colour?

:hail:

Or is it just spring water + depth + light that makes it that colour?

thats right

go down to yatton park the water feature there has it

council add an additive to it don't know if it supports life though

someone in parks and reserves should be able to put you onto the right person for info on it

very pale blue tinted glass?

You will need to avoid having wood or leaves in the tank as they will colour the water brown (which personally I love ;)

and generally keep everything pretty spotless, which is quite intensive as there are no native algae-eaters.

What native species are in these areas? I imagine it would be pretty species-poor.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

go down to yatton park the water feature there has it

council add an additive to it don't know if it supports life though

:lol: I thought it was some prank someone pulled, sometimes someone puts in soap powder for a laugh.

I think its something that kills off algae, as usually theres none after the treatment, and I dunno if it helps life in the water, I use to collect tadpoles from there but cant find any now.

very pale blue tinted glass?

Hmmm good idea stella, i guess its the only way to go, pity that river water only looks turquoise with depth. Could go with a bigger, deeper tank. Sometimes the bathwater has a blue colour to it.

I havent studied that much into it yet, have to take a few more trips there. From what I could see at the time it was only trout, at Tarawera and the Lion Park. The surroundings were lightly vegetated with mostly fern overhanging the water, so there were a few plant/trunk pieces in the water. As for the bottom of the river/pools, it was more of a river sand with smooth and some jagged rocks (not too hard to imitate). The water at both locations looked nice, the trout pools at the lion park were spring fed, spring is only about 3 meters away and is directly channeled. You can go up to the spring and collect water too :)

Are shrimp not lil algae eaters??? :lol:

Trout are fairly good at excluding various native fish, and the region is probably not great for much native diversity....

You will find this site useful: http://www.niwa.co.nz/our-science/fresh ... fishfinder gives a bit of info about each species, plus a distribution map, so you can narrow down what species are likely to be in your area.

You are more likely to see natives anywhere at night, they are nocturnal. My favourite spotlighting place has virtually nothing during the day, but an interesting variety at night.

Shrimp are algae eaters... but their tummies are minute!

(oh another thing, certain places you might run the risk of collecting illegally as in some lakes/catchments in Rotorua and Taupo areas the native fish belong to specific iwi, permits can be obtained, talk to DOC)

Trout are fairly good at excluding various native fish, and the region is probably not great for much native diversity....

You will find this site useful: http://www.niwa.co.nz/our-science/fresh ... fishfinder gives a bit of info about each species, plus a distribution map, so you can narrow down what species are likely to be in your area.

You are more likely to see natives anywhere at night, they are nocturnal. My favourite spotlighting place has virtually nothing during the day, but an interesting variety at night.

Shrimp are algae eaters... but their tummies are minute!

(oh another thing, certain places you might run the risk of collecting illegally as in some lakes/catchments in Rotorua and Taupo areas the native fish belong to specific iwi, permits can be obtained, talk to DOC)

Thanks for the sites/info Stella......always value your opinions on our native species

:lol: Good thing its the Iwi I belong to :P

Tarawera is my Iwi's mountain/lake/river area, but as always I respect where I collect :)

Hey all,

Wasnt sure where to post this.

In the future I am looking at doing a Native Biotope. Inspiration of it comes from a visit I had to Tarawera River (Where it starts from the lake end), and also to the Lion Park in Rotorua (the trout pools).

To add to the authenticity of the biotope, I was wondering if anyone had any info/success/method of making the tank water that blue/turquoise colour.

Here or Here

I could be wrong, but doesn't the colour of the water have something to do with the colours in the light spectrum that can travel through our atmosphere? Thus Blue skys? don't quote me though :D I would say that the best way would to be to find some lighting with the right kelvin rating that are more in the blue/green spectrum and as people have previously said, perhaps paint the tank the colour you fancy aswell! :wink: Very excited to see how you go though, post pictures if you have success!

Cheers

The colour of the water can be influenced by the particles that are suspended in it as well.

The first pic appears to be related to the expanse of the water, whilst the second could be particles from the river bed or bank suspended in the water.

Lake Tekapo is one of several glacial lakes with a distinctive blue-green colour. This is caused by tiny suspended particles (called rock flour) that have been ground off the underlying rock by glaciers.

retrieved from:http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/lakes/1