A few questions :)

bobo

So, the tank (a slow project) is currently like so (120l):

ss850510.jpg

1) I have just started using DIY CO2 and my pH has plummeted. I heard that this isn't something to worry about, because fish aren't actually effected by a changing pH, more a changing kH, is this true? Should I add some more buffering to the tank?

2) Plant set-up. I'm hoping for the glosso to gradually spread until it covers the front of the tank. Then I have to place some plants betweent the ambulia and the glooso - I wanted something mid-height. I was thinking some kind of grass, any ideas?

3) Fishies. We are going for guppies. Can I keep some kind of small rams in there with them? Maybe some corys? Any other small fish you can recommend (not neons thanks!). I would love some kind of loaches to nail the snails (which are currently Oscar tucker), but am fearful they would munch the guppies' tails?

4) If we got female guppies as well, would they breed of their own volition, or would we have to play around with tank conditions? Could we do all the breeding within this tank, or is it necessary to separate fry from the mothers, and the females from the males? We would only be breeding casually/for fun.

5) Filter. At the moment I have a crap filter from my old 60l tank. Is filtration important on a densely planted tank? I was thinking it might help with keeping it clear of algae (in some way). Should I go for a canister?

I appreciate any and all assistance!!!

Cheers

ah yes. that is a nice looking tank. :D

If your fish don't care about the pH, neither should you. don't worry about the KH as you will need to adjust it with every WC if you do increase it, unless you use coral - no point really.

the glosso looks good. it will spread out more, and grow well judging by the growth now.

sag. subulata is a nice tall (potentially) plant, and is like a grass but it propagates via runners and keeping them in control making sure they do no grow all over the place; may be an issue.

yeap. you can keep rams and cories. lots and lots of cories :lol:

proper planted tanks - not your average planted tanks, or tanks with plants in them need to have great filters. water quality is key, as is water clarity. if you can go for an external filter, go for one without doubt. It is customary to go for an eheim on a planted tank :lol: because any thing else is the work of the devil.

Bobo! Long time no post aye? :wink:

1) I have just started using DIY CO2 and my pH has plummeted. I heard that this isn't something to worry about, because fish aren't actually effected by a changing pH, more a changing kH, is this true? Should I add some more buffering to the tank?

As long as the fish and plants are fine with it, nothing to worry about.

2) Plant set-up. I'm hoping for the glosso to gradually spread until it covers the front of the tank. Then I have to place some plants betweent the ambulia and the glooso - I wanted something mid-height. I was thinking some kind of grass, any ideas?

Hairgrass or lilaeopsis would be nice

3) Fishies. We are going for guppies. Can I keep some kind of small rams in there with them? Maybe some corys? Any other small fish you can recommend (not neons thanks!). I would love some kind of loaches to nail the snails (which are currently Oscar tucker), but am fearful they would munch the guppies' tails?

I think a pair or trio of dwarf cichlids would go nicely in that tank :)

4) If we got female guppies as well, would they breed of their own volition, or would we have to play around with tank conditions? Could we do all the breeding within this tank, or is it necessary to separate fry from the mothers, and the females from the males? We would only be breeding casually/for fun.

Make sure you have around 2 females for every 1 male. I just caught the fry as I saw them and put them in a floating breeder net inside the main tank.

5) Filter. At the moment I have a crud filter from my old 60l tank. Is filtration important on a densely planted tank? I was thinking it might help with keeping it clear of algae (in some way). Should I go for a canister?

Plants help keep the water chemically clean so it's less important in that aspect than in a non-planted tank. If you have no issues with the current filter then let it be, although more fish could mean more filtration is needed.

HTH and welcome back 8)

Bobo! Long time no post aye? :wink:

HTH and welcome back 8)

Yeah... the whole 'work getting in the way of fishkeeping' thing happened. And Thanks!!

ah yes. that is a nice looking tank. :D

Cheers ears. It's slowly taking shape. I'm not sure if I'm happy with the overall plan, but we shall see...

Thanks for the prompt responses guys :hail: If I get a canister filter, am I after lowish flow? Say 600 l/h?

I'm never very good at stocking numbers. If I bought 12 female guppies (6 males currently), say 6 corys, and a couple of dwarf cichlids - would that be a full tank? I wouldn't mind a little room in case of babies :o Is this too many? Could I add more fishies? ;p

I'll look into those plants :)

Cheers

Tank looks good mate, nice job. I don't really think a big filter is necessary (although better if you have a lot of fish). I have a 130L planted tank and it's only running a small sponge filter, but the fish spawn all the time so it must be doing a good job.

As for a plant on the middle left, I reckon a nice clump of crypts would work well. If you could get your hands on some Crypt balansae I think it would look pretty cool at the back with the leaves growing along the water's surface.

IME - Skunk loaches clean up the snails pretty quickly but then start on Guppy tails! So stay away from these guys.

Looking good!

Guppy wise, unless you are planning to breed in large numbers, you could just leave the fry in the tank, they will get cover from the Ambulia and rotala and a few will survive.

Rams would work well.

You could consider an echinodorus in the front left, such as leopard or ozelot, or as Antwan suggests a group of crypts.

I agree with P44, hairgrass will become a nuisance with the glosso when it suckers around the place.

In a planted tank, I believe that capacity is much more important than flow with a canister filter. That's why the Eheim 2213 is perfect for planted tanks. Good quality, capacious and low flow. Getting a second hand one is the only way to get them cheap really, they go for over $200 new sometimes :(

PH crashing is potentially fatal.

A low PH on its own is fine, so long as that is what the fish are used to. Its a logarithmic scale so any change is a BIG change, just ensure it keeps at a stable level.

Along with that ensure you water change weekly, otherwise the plants will absorb all the carbonates out of the water, leaving you with 0 KH, and then your PH will craaaaaash (i have experienced this)

Do you have a KH test kit? I have one you can borrow, though your KH is going to be around 3 Degress i think.

I personally would put a bit of crushed oyster shell in. just to be on the safe safe.

And for a plant, Parviflorus tropica! I have 4 at work if you want to check them out.

Yeah. My pH definitely sunk straight after the CO2 was added. I already have crushed coral, should I add more?

I have tested my kH once before - it was quite low. Should this be an area I now monitor? The only way I can influence it is by adding coral right? (or chemicals, but want to avoid...)

I'll google that plant... (and all the others)

:)

Yeah. My pH definitely sunk straight after the CO2 was added. I already have crushed coral, should I add more?

I have tested my kH once before - it was quite low. Should this be an area I now monitor? The only way I can influence it is by adding coral right? (or chemicals, but want to avoid...)

I'll google that plant... (and all the others)

:)

Id just ensure it sits above 3 degrees.

And looking good btw :bow: