is my dat sick????

trav

hi i will try my best to explane.

my biggest indo dat about 15 cm has not been eating he is in a 6 foot tank with 2x indo dats 1x american 3x severums 2x pleco 1x leopard fish 1x syladontis catfish 1x knifefish . he hasnt been eating for about a week now .when i moved him from the 4 foot tank to the 6 foot he was ok and ate soon after he was in the tank . he ate well for about a week or so and then he has just stoped :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry::cry::cry: i do not know wat to do he looks like he is gasping is the tank over crowded ? please any questions please ask :D

tank info..

filtration fx5

lighting-4 foot aquaone dubble bolbed

temp 27

Checking all the water parameters is about the first thing you should do when fish don't look right. If thats all good I'd try some different food, maybe just needs a bit of a change (don't get him hooked though!). My biggest did this a while ago, I just figured he didn't like that particular bag of shrimp so gave him the odd piece of beef heart to keep him going until I started the next bag, and sure enough he started eating again.

bro, you dont want a high ph, 6.0 is fine generally, some fish dont eat for ages, on occaisions that i have gone away i havent fed them for 3 weeks and their fine. If you starve them long enough the fish WILL eat the food provided, its that or they die, otherwise you've got a retarded fish right there :o One of my ornates didnt eat for about 6 months at one stage. The bio load on your tank is low also so ammonia shouldnt be too much of an issue.

Thanks I have sorted it out I had to spend 200 on more oxigen and Niger bubble wall and bubble blower and ammonia tester and nitrate tester and had to fix my KH I had to by KH booster I need 3KH but had 0 :o Hand will up load some pics of my tank I have changed it up and it looks good man I owe my mom heaps now!!!!!!:(

Thanks I have sorted it out I had to spend 200 on more oxigen and Niger bubble wall and bubble blower and ammonia tester and nitrate tester and had to fix my KH I had to by KH booster I need 3KH but had 0 :o Hand will up load some pics of my tank I have changed it up and it looks good man I owe my mom heaps now!!!!!!:(

You can increase O2 levels by increasing surface aggregation, ie aim filter outlet at the surface.

KH can be increased by using Sodium bicarbonate(which your mum should have).

Could of saved quite a bit of money!

for futer how much of it do i use????

Get a power head bro. I have an AC70 powerhead with a quick filter attachment (for water polishing) that creates my surface movement, and pumps 1800lph. works a charm, means I can have my fx5 blowing toward the bottom.

Im selling it if ya keen, really good piece of kit.

hans is right, you could of saved some money

waterchange is always my first remedy to a problem

If in doubt, 50% water change!

I have a lot of customers who seem to like the idea of buying a product to solve their problems, they kinda look bamboozled when I tell them they shouldnt spend money today and to go home and change half their water...

and Trav, I have a master test kit that I dont need. throw me $20 and its yours.

lol, arnt you in like $500 debt now :o unnecessary spending bro, you worry too much about the feeding, especially with dats, they are quite picky. Morcs is right too, water changes work bro, henward figured out the chemical composition of the water around here and its pretty good despite being in auckland, dont need to work about ager etc, only monitor ammonia mainly, ph isnt a prob either, i almost never check mine. $200 on air bubbles! :o

good lol im not pointing the finger at any one shop but dont ya find it funny that chch lfs still sell a lot of de-chlorinator when there is no chlorine in our water here i cringe everytime i overhear someone selling a newbie dechlorinator as a must have

waterchange is always my first remedy to a problem

Same here, unless I've already just done a water change because then the problem is likely to have come from the tap water...

ohk i just checked ph it was 6.0

6.0 is fine for your fish, so long as you haven't just dropped them in there from pH7.0+ water...