Glosso stuff

DennisP

Growth rate?

Will it be okay in sand?

how much WpL do i need? (do i need reflectors in my juwel)

Does it need ferts?

Can i find it wild in CHCH cos im getting close to being broke.

And tell me other things i need to know and let me in on ur experiences.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Growth rate?

Will it be okay in sand?

how much WpL do i need? (do i need reflectors in my juwel)

Does it need ferts?

Can i find it wild in CHCH cos im getting close to being broke.

And tell me other things i need to know and let me in on ur experiences.

Theres lots of information on glosso on here but unless you have good quality high strength lighting its not going to do well.

Use the search function and have a read through whats been said about it and then if you've still got any questions ask away.

growth rate is pretty quick if you have the right conditions

grows very well in sand

at least 1 watt per litre if you want a carpet effect

carpets alot better and greener with liquid ferts like flourish, flourish excel....you will also need some type of substrate fert if you want it to carpet

alan on the forum might have some or there is a guy in chch that sells it on trademe

also co2 is a must for this plant....

Its growing well in my 14L tank, i have JBL Balls buried in Black Silica, but would rather go with the suggestion of different substrate fert, less hassel and is spread better. Next time Ill be going with substrate fert :P

As for my Lighting, Im using a 18w CF Energy Saver in a desk lamp (enough for my tank :) )

Also using DIY Co2.

Growth rate.......

10 Days ago

img5303small.jpg

Now

dsc03188small.jpg

Obviously different combos of fert,light and Co2 affect the outcome.

HTH :D

It is growing upwards because there is not enough light. Most of the carpeting plants are the same.

I too am looking into planting Glosso and have been surfing the net for recommendations. Everything I read indicates that Co2 and lighting are important factors in achieving a carpet like appearance.

Phoenix44 clarified the lighting issue for me - the following is his explanation...

WPG - watts per gallon.

Watts is not a measure of light output, but is the unit of electrical consumption. basically with the technology we have now, a 12W energy saver can produce light that is equivalent to 60W of the old fashioned light bulbs. see where I am coming from now?

so while - per watt the energy saver, produces less light per gallon under the WPG rule, in reality the 60W and the 12W produce the same amount of light.

then there are metal halides which are inefficent, because a lot of the energy they consume is released as heat.

With tubes, the T8's are now being replaced with the newer T5 technology, that produces more light for the same wattage. then there are T5 High output lights that give out even more light for the same number of watts.

So the Watts per gallon / litre rule is fundamentally incorrect, as the underlying scale of measurement is inaccurate and not constant; and thus wrong.

HTH :wink:

Also, watts per gallon does not take into account the dimensions of the tank.

A 162l tank at 900l x 600w x 400h is going to get different light at the bottom than a 900l x 400w x 600h tank.

It also does not take into account the distribution of light.

A bank of fluorescents that spans the whole tank will give different light at the bottom of a tank than a single metal halide of the same or similar wattage over the middle of the tank (yes I know there are things called diffusers, but this is just an example)

I have to agree that watts per gallon is completely false. Another factor is that the lack of penetration of light through water is logarithmic. That means that it doesn't take twice as much light to penetrate 600mm of water as it does to penetrate 300mm, it takes a lot more than twice as much. Also different types of light penetrate at different rates. Blue light penetrates better than red so in a deep tank the substrate can be lacking in red light. An example of this is why the marine enthusiasts use blue lights. The critters they wish to keep have evolved in blue light as the red will not penetrate. The joys of trying to find a simple equation to represent a complex situation. Don't forget than Grandad used to grow aquatic plants with an incandescent light bulb before floros were invented. Don't ask me how his Grandad got on with candles.

p44, i started with the standard juwel 2x24w lighting with DIY co2....growth was very good for a basic low cost setup but it wasnt dense growth so i added 2x24w power glo's and pressurized co2....after that the tank grew wild and i shut it down lol

the lido is now a marine reef tank and i have just started last week a rimless/braceless ADA style tank hehe

Zev....pic is all yours, pm me your email address if you want the original full size pic

You can email me by hitting the email button next to the pm button on one of my posts!

the pic is on my home computer, will email you later tonight

:D Pics?

no pic at the moment

i'm not sure if i will continue that tank....the tank i used was a old sump which the glass is abit yucky and very scratched....not very nice looking

all about balance of ferts, light, co2

about 2 months later

DSC00772.jpg

:o:o Did anyone else just see the clouds open up and a ray of light, beam down on this tank??

Very nice! Do I need to be patient with the glosso growth in my tank or need better lighting?? new runners are constantly growing outwards with roots growing down from them, making there way into the substrate, lil green leaf seems to grow tall though.

Mate, the key difference with DIY setups and the one evil_elmo has used are the lights. the powerglo t5's are about $75 each for the 4ft lights, and the light fitting itself is about $250+ (those are the units I use on all my tanks).

I do not in my opinion think you can achieve those results with home made / powersaving tubes.

The other thing is that you will notice he said the results under the stock lights with the juwel did not cut it... the stock lights are 1x10000K T5HO and 1x6500K T5HO.

The powerglos are 18000K and HO in this case, and are specifically developed to propagate plants.

you spend your money and get your money's worth. :D

HTH

Don't let it discourage you! keep working with what you have, and it may just work!

There was a customer at the shop i occasionally work at, who was determined to grow a low foreground plant for her tank, but I did not think her lights would cut it. And given that it was glosso that she wanted to grow, her lights were just not enough to sustain the growth. She was disappointed cause i told her that she would be wasting $6 a pot for glosso, but one day after weeks and weeks of her coming back to talk to me, I told her to try it, and see if it works.

what do you know.... it worked. she split the pot, and within a few weeks the glosso started growing. didn't grow well.. but grew, and she was absolutely thrilled. Even came into store and gloated about it :lol: :D

so try growing it, cause its near impossible to apply a generic set of rules to our individual circumstances.