I want to rid a tank of snails and want to know if

car67

Copper sulphate or snail rid will harm discus.

The tank I wish to rid them out of has got breeding discus in so I want to disrupt them as little as posible.

This tank has gravel in the bottom but I want to get it out but am worried that it might stop them from continuing to lay eggs.

The babies are in another tank which is bare bottomed so it is very easy to keep clean.

Or should I just bit the bullet and get it over and done with and hope they will continue to lay.

It took me three years to get to this stage and would be devastated to ruin it over a few snails.

You could make a snail trap to at least ease the numbers, I'm not sure how effective they are at totally freeing your tank.

Do a google search for how to make one. If you do & it works, report back! I suggest this every single time & noone ever gets back to us.

easy snail trap is to put a piece of courgette on the bottom and after a few days it will be covered. But snails are snails... it takes a while for them to get there and many of them still don't make it over there.

too.... much.... walking....... :wink:

so i don't recommend that as a fast fix if that's what you're after. I get more of the mini ramshorns in my tank through the gravel siphon but still they keep a-growin'. I liked them once... now i'm over them :roll: :D:D

I read the side of the Snail Rid bottle (is copper) at HFF today and it said not to be used in water less than 50ppm dh hardness - so if you are worried about your fish I would definitely get the water tested first

I thought it would be an easy fix to get rid of my snails but the water is way too soft

Personally I haven't seen MTS in ages, ever since I started adding CO2 I think. Or maybe it was when I sold my gravel. One of them.

CO2, acidic and soft water all hinder the snails ability to survive due to it being harder for calcium to be produced for their shells. Still see the odd ramshorn or two though.

This wouldnt be a bad thread to keep going. I have a snail issue. My tanks I dont have plecs get full of them, others they still hang in their but plecs eat too much of the snails food. The tanks that and riddled with snails are too small for plecs, or loaches. I have the cucumber in there and pull out 15+ snails daily, I was seriously thinking about getting some puffers or something to eat em all up, specially in the AR380 it would look beautiful if snails wernt eatin all my plants.

JBL LimCollect

http://www.petsunlimited.co.nz/index.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=59&PHPSESSID=1

Ive seen these in the JBL Catalogue that I have, on the jbl.de website it says bait it overnight you'll have a trap full, assuming you have quite a few in the tank. Maybe keep an eye on Trademe or Ebay.

HTH

Breeding discus is best done in a bare bottom tank, and if they are a good pair they will breed again. We move our pairs once they need to be separated from the fry, and they generally lay again within a week or 2. Bare bottom also makes it easier to keep the tank clean, which is important for the eggs and fry.

The safest way to get rid of snails is using loaches, but dont use them in a breeding tank or you will lose the fry.