Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

Help drilling AR380

Featured Replies

Hi,

I'd like to drill a couple of holes in my my Aqua One AR380 for a sump, and install an overflow box.

Now I'm not very confident working with glass - is there anyone in the auckland area that will do this for me? I've already asked at Hollywood Fish Farm and they've said the guy that does their tanks doesn't deal with readymade tanks.

Cheers.

Barrie is the man with this, but I have seen a guy drill all his tanks to plumb them all in, he drilled them all intact and just used a glass cutting hole saw from mitre10 went really slow with his drill and started on an angle and used water from a spray bottle as lube.. He didn't break any and would have around 20 tanks in his room all plumbed up, maybe he was just lucky or really good at it, who knows but I have never given it a go :)

  • Author

Is this a general rule for all already built aquariums? That there's a 80% chance of breaking it I mean? Or just readymade ones like Aqua One / Juwels etc?

Remember if I drill the Aqua one I'll be drilling the back part, which is just a piece of glass. It's not ALL moulded in one piece or anything - just the front, left and right sides are moulded in one piece.

  • Author

But the back of it isn't 'moulded glass'? If I understand the term correctly, moulded glass means forming the aquarium from one continuous piece of glass right?

With the AR380 just the front, left and right are 'moulded glass'. The back and bottom are siliconed on just like any other tank.

I am a Glass Merchant and have a glass company

Your glass needs to be firmly supported behind the area you are drilling

Your glass needs to be cooled as you are drilling with running water or at least a dam of water around the area you are drilling

If you have very steady hands and can get a drill that is slow enough you can drill it with copper pipe and carbonundum powder but make sure you drill very slowly and have the area cooled.

If you put uneven presure on as your drilling (especially when your over half way through) you will "shell" out the drilled hole resulting in breakage later on

Drilling through 6mm thick should take you at least 60 to 90 minutes.

When we use water fed habit drills in ideal conditions, we still break about one in ten

By all means ignore my advise and have fun as I can only offer advice as I see it as a person thats been in the trade for 42 years

Not very many glass companies will offer to drill it for you as the cost of a good habit drill is well over $100 and will probably jam up if the glass breaks which will probably damage the drill makeing it totally useless

Good luck

  • Author

Thanks Barrie. I was just curious as to the reason. So there's no chance of having a glass specialist attempt it either?

If so then I suppose I can go back to looking at PVC siphon overflows or similar.

Yeah just go with a siphon overflow box.

A glass specialist could no-doubt try it, but it wouldnt be their responsbility at all if it breaks... lol

So there's no chance of having a glass specialist attempt it either?

I AM A GLASS SPECIALIST WITH 42 YEAR EXPERIANCE

you may find someone that is willing to risk a $120 drill for a $5 sale and if you do, get in quickly as it simply dosnt make financial sense

I was quoted $30 a hole when getting my tanks made, decided against it. Not such a wise move now I see. Will probably use an overflow box or (if I can grasp the concept) a 100% PVC pipe overflow.

There is a weir setup that you can hang over the side of the tank - will see if I can find the link.

just another idea but not sure on the cost.

You could get a another back sheet of glass made that has the hole cut in it. Then just take one off and put the other on.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.