Crayfish, to eat or not to eat, that is the question.

livingart

:D , nothing but an attempt by some to encourage people to put the big ones back - packhorses taste very nice, just like big snapper.

Up to the individuals whether to keep them or not.

i agree totally, a girl i used to flat with was a dive instructor. I really liked the times when she was taking students into the ocean, crays, packies & scallops were on the menu regularly. :)

There was a male packhorse at Southern Encounter who'd been there since it opened. He was estimated to be about 40 years old. Anyway, he was the only one of his species they had until one day they obtained a female. He went crazy and wouldn't leave her alone - had to backed up into a crevice so she couldn't go anywhere. Crayfish mate just after moulting, so after a few months of being holed up, this happened. Afterwards, Mr Packhorse wouldn't have anything to do with her and just ignored her. Typical male!

He was a great talking point at the aquarium and so many people commented on him and asked questions about him since he was so much bigger than the rock lobsters. A worthwhile asset to have at your park, LA.

He went crazy and wouldn't leave her alone - had to backed up into a crevice so she couldn't go anywhere. Crayfish mate just after moulting, so after a few months of being holed up, this happened. Afterwards, Mr Packhorse wouldn't have anything to do with her and just ignored her. Typical male!

this has never happened before that i know of.

this has never happened before that i know of.

You'd probably be pretty desperate too, if you hadn't got any nookie in 10 years.

ps I know Mr Packhorse was probably just being territorial, but it's such a funny story to say he was desperately horny after 10 years of isolation.

best way to eat is fresh and raw or quick boil till just turned red into cold water and do not taint the taste with any other flavours :wink:

:bow: exactly, its the only best way!

I feel like some now :( oh well, better go get some then. 'trotts off to the olds', "Daaaaaaaaad... Got any crays in the freezer?". mmmmmm yum, yes he does :D

Kind of sad to eat the big ones. 60 years of growing ended just so some dumb primate can have a couple minute meal.

eh, i dont mind being that dumb primate... :D They breed pretty hard out anyway, like 400 eggs or more at a time. Not sure on survival rate though... ?

eh, i dont mind being that dumb primate... :D They breed pretty hard out anyway, like 400 eggs or more at a time. Not sure on survival rate though... ?

I see a lot of survival rates to breeding age quoted in the region of 1 per 10,000.