NZ Couriers no more!

Adrienne

Often if you point out that theyre packed very well and you (the sender) understand its at your own risk. There shouldnt be a problem.

The inconsistency is frustrating I agree. But the people who complain to and or about the courier companies who are just doing their job dont do much good for anyone imo.

As a whole the courier companies are very good when you weigh up the volumes of parcels sent compared to the amount of parcels which get damaged/delayed.

You hit it on the head

Some-one has probably complained to the SPCA so they have acted on it?

Of all the fish I have ever sent, I have only had one death and that was 2 weeks ago. The fish was very young so may not have survived any way plus maybe that even though It looked fine, maybe it wasnt. The other arrived safe and sound

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried to send fish today

complainant was to spca about NZ couriers cause res they purchased over internet arrived dead or near death here in ChCh

Driver picked up my fish then rang to say "nope" and i explained -my fish my risk well packed no blame BUT needs to be O/N delivery

They took them

didnt sign anything but is gone

Nav

You hit it on the head

Some-one has probably complained to the SPCA so they have acted on it?

d

Barrie is very correct - that is what happened. However they would not budge on this here in Auckland and they know me very very well. Anyway I now have found another courier so will take the fish there tomorrow night (I have received several boxes of fish through them) and then go in and cash in all my courier tickets which will nicely line my pockets for a few weeks.

Heres an update - went to the local fastways depot after looking up their prices on the web. Just about died when they charged me $35 for a box less than 3kg and max size 15cm x 12cm x 12cm. Queried the cost and was met with 'well do you want to send it or not!' Given that I had mucked the purchaser around once this week I have paid but have emailed a query to the customer services manager and will follow it up with a phone call tomorrow pm if they have not responded. $35 was $25 more than the price calculator worked it out to be. If the price turns out to be correct my fish will be travelling 'incognito' from now on.

My wife rung my local NZ courier branch and the lady checked the email they were all sent, confirmed there was an issue with the SPCA and they have been instructed not to carry turtles only live fish were still ok, so noone needs to worry :) Apparently all courier companies have been instructed by SPCA not to carry turtles?

the other thing i have just thought about, i don't know that the couriers realise what is in my boxes as i do not write live fish on them, simply add the fragile stickers.

when i brought fish from you and had them shipped although the box was not marked with live fish the company knew as they rung my boss as as i them delivered to my work and the courier run didnt go out to there until 4.30 pm they just wanted to check if that was ok or else have somebody pick them up

I always label the boxes.. I have had a few lots (when I sent with nzpost) stuck in the fridge overnight as they thought they were vaccines and that was why they were in poly boxes.. I am yet to have a problem with NZ couriers and sending fish so figure it is always better to label them "live tropical fish please keep warm and deliver asap" as it will hopefully mean they don't end up in the fridge/freezer :)

NZ post asked that I stop labeling them if I was to continue using them as other depots were complaining. Ended up stopping using them after they stuck 3 boxes in a row on the wrong truck and they ended up in the wrong place or on 2-3 day service and when I called they couldn't track them or tell me what had happened.

I actually feel more confident sending turtles then i do fish with water.

Wonder what the full story is, as Ive sent and had sent to me various turtles of all sizes over the past few years. Without a glitch.

Got to love how one bad egg can cause such drama.

Glad ive sold most of my turtles and dont have a tank of hatchlings ready to go.

when i brought fish from you and had them shipped although the box was not marked with live fish the company knew as they rung my boss as as i them delivered to my work and the courier run didnt go out to there until 4.30 pm they just wanted to check if that was ok or else have somebody pick them up

i told them they were fish & it was written on the docket, they made it a special point of making sure they were ok. 8) i like poste haste alot more than NZC because the manager up here is a very good guy to deal with.

Wonder what the full story is, as Ive sent and had sent to me various turtles of all sizes over the past few years. Without a glitch.

Got to love how one bad egg can cause such drama.

Good question. Maybe someone should contact the SPCA and ask for an explanation. If they are to advise such things then they should have to explain reasoning.

I mean it is us directly that it affects.

I deal with courier firms daily and I know that stories and rules change with each shift sometimes.Prices vary greatly between companies. I mean one particular aforementioned is quite often double the price for no apparant reason. Get told the same, "do you want to send it?"

I sent some albino frogs (don't ask as don't have any now)to Auckland airport to airport and since they had only fish or turtles on their livestock labels I said turtles. They refused to take them as they were not in a plastic container. I explained that they were frogs and inside an icecream container inside a carton and they still refused. After I kicked up and said I was paying them megabux to get them there Ok and could put them in the post for less than $10 they came out with a written instruction which said they had to be in a plastic container and after much discussion again they took them. They said it was to stop them getting crushed and my answer was that the money I was paying them should be enough to stop some idiot puting a great dane on top of them.

I was wondering :D if some of you would phone the spca in your areas and if you haven't also done so your nz courier depot and ask 'the question' of them and then post your results. My idea is not to cause trouble but if I could then print off your answers I thought I would take them to our local depot if it is of benefit to me (and other locals) and show them the answers.

I do feel I know the people at our couriers well enough to get a reasonable response to this as I have sent hundreds of fish with them before. I will phone the local spca today and one of the forum members actually works there. :D

Brooklands (an importer) sends their fish through Post Haste & must send hundreds to all the pet stores they supply.

http://www.petbus.co.nz/ is great, got my rats down from Blenheim through them. But they take about 5 days to do their entire route so wouldn't be any good for sending fish. Would be excellent for turtles and lizards though.

• 2 weeks later...

I went into NZ Couriers this afternoon and spoke to the big boss man there. Its a definite no up here in Auckland as this was the branch that was singled out. Other branches apparently can ignore the head office directive if they wish but there is no way we will be able to send anything live with NZ Couriers. The good news is that they will refund all my tickets, both long haul and inter island.

They know that Post Haste (their sister company) is still sending fish but it was NZ Couriers that has been singled out. Apparently its axolotyls in their plastic bags eating each other and turtles in bubble wrapped bags that have caused the issue.