A Cautionary Tale (flooded house)

Stella

So I made this very clever contraption that lets me drain and fill my tanks using the hose, just turn on and leave, and race back just in time to turn the tap off.

Anyway.... there was this one time when I didn't.....

Was getting ready one evening to go up to the Hawke's Bay to see my boyfriend, did a number of waterchanges while getting ready, then lost the cat and various other minor dramas, and raced out to door to catch the bus....

See where this is heading? :roll:

So after about an hour I realised I couldn't remember specifically turning off the tap that time.

Five minutes later I texted a friend saying I was probably just paranoid but could he please check....

Yeah.

Bugger.

The water was coming out the door to meet him. :o

He turned the hose off but didn't have a key to get in, but eventually found a non-destructive way to get in. All of the fish in the tank in question had died. My laptop was sitting on the floor.

I stayed the night in Hastings and my boy brought me back the next day. I tell you I *really* wanted to detour to anywhere but Palmy!

The entire floor area of my decent-sized two-bedroom unit was saturated. The carpet was splashy.

I got a rug-doctor to suck up as much water as possible. It made a big difference but obviously couldn't do it all. Eventually got the cleaners in, and it looked like my insurance would cover it.

Of course the next day they ring and say they can't cover, as I am renting (I TOLD the first person that!), but to see if my landlord's insurance covers it.

No idea who my landlord is, so I talked to my property manager, who said she would try, but there was no guarantee that hey would put in a claim (afterall, why would they?).

Meanwhile the house is drying thanks to massive dehumidifiers and fans, but getting bloody hot. Thankfully I was able to ship most of the surviving fish out to my friend's place. My boy and I were staying with a friend. :hail:

When the house was dry the cleaning guy informed me that the landlord was not putting in a claim.

The original quote was $2600....

But since he forgot to plug in one dehumidifier and the rug doctor had taken a day off the drying time, it came down a whole lot.

Eventually a bit more negotiation brought it to $1165.

(even so I am a student... ouch)

I paid it, then got a call from my landlord's insurance saying they were claiming!

Of course then that insurance company claims the money back from me...

But then I use my liability insurance to pay them.....

And I had already paid....

I couldn't even work out that imaginary money flowchart!! :o

Then on Friday I got another call from my insurance, some weird negotiations have been happening and apparently the landlord's insurance is covering everything, and I (or my insurance) don't even have to pay the excess! Full refund on its way!! :bounce:

Meanwhile, I learned:

1 - don't leave the freaking hose unattended.

2 - my coping skills have improved dramatically - I laughed more than cried.

3 - not much of value resides on the bottom 2cm of your home.

4 - I have the most amazing friends. :hail:

5 - my boy is so dedicated and uncomplaining, and follows instruction well ;)

(and my computer still clings to life! However half my fish didn't... :( )

That's exactly why I don't do anything more than maybe read a few messageboards while doing water changes.:P

I once forgot I was filling the spa up, ran out an hour or two later to find water pouring out and a nice sized pond underthe deck it's on. Might not matter if we weren't on tank water.

Wow Stella, that truly sucks :(

Just last week I was topping up my tank with the new hose. Pinned it under a rock and went round the side to turn it on. The end came off and it spurted out and onto the carpet. So I picked it up and put it back in the tank, meanwhile the tank is slowly getting more and more full. So I try to cap the end (doesn't work, too high pressure) and direct it towards the tiles. I go to run out before the floor got anymore wet but slip on the tiles. Nearly 6ft of me landing on hard, wet tiles hurts. Then, I had to clean it all up.

Moral of the story, never do water changes alone.

That's exactly why I don't do anything more than maybe read a few messageboards while doing water changes.:P

I once forgot I was filling the spa up, ran out an hour or two later to find water pouring out and a nice sized pond underthe deck it's on. Might not matter if we weren't on tank water.

i never do anything but concentrate on filling the tanks during the process of a water change. when i am refilling a tank i use the hose to blow any left over debris & flush around the rocks toward the filter out let so i can get sucked up.

wow a spa & on tank water, you must have big tanks.

Good to hear you got it sorted in the end Stella.

I have learned never to sit down with a book while a tank is filling :roll:

When I use my siphon python thing to refill it is very very slow and I tend to forget it is going (especially if my head is in a book!) so I now refill using the good old bucket sytem and consider it good exercise and worthy of a dessert. :wink:

With 2 buckets I can have one filling while I pour the other into the tank. The dual tap goes at just the right speed to be almost full by the time I return with the empty bucket. If it overflows it only goes into the sink and we don't pay for wayer useage.

Only time I'll walk away from a filling tank is when its being pumped out of my 200L barrel and there is more than 200L of free space in the tank! I know it takes a little over 20 minutes (cheap slow pump!) so I usually set a timer as I'm guaranteed to forget if I just walk off.

Glad to head someones insurance sorted it out in the end and you're not left with a big bill!!