Red Eye Puffer Tank (Setup Log)

phoenix44

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful tank, it'll look great when it's grown a bit more.

I think puffers are so ugly that they're cute. Love 'em!

Just a heads up, puffers are jumpers. I lost my 2 babies due to jumping (and had a lid with about 5cm x 5cm gap). I'd recommend a tight fitting lid, especially since the tank is so full and they're so ungainly when they swim, they could literally just swim over the side on accident.

i will have to try them on earthworms one day

I am growing some in a box that is in another box. just to make sure they do not get out. they are usually filled with mud so if i am feeling up to it, I cut them wash the mud out (slips right out) and chuck it in the tank for the discus (other tank). these guys just get a whole worm and they demolish it.

they are ugly as sin, I want more, but missed out cause the puffers are not on the list any more. have to wait for another batch.

does any one else feed their puffers, earthworms?

I feel sort of mean feeding them to the puffers, cause the worm can't defend itself and it gets ripped up and and all :o:(

snails not so bad - at least they can hide in their shells.

least the puffers are happy eating them.

They are very slow at eating it. My kids used to love dropping an earthworm into the goldfish tank. With a fish at each end it was amazing how far the poor worm could stretch! They still ate it a lot faster than the puffers :-?

The plants seem to be doing well so far. No ferts in the gravel at all, no carbon in the filter, and I use the odd bit of flourish comprehensive.

I'm doing regular WC's and keeping the gravel pretty clean.

The tank has no algae eaters at all, but im considering some panda cories (maybe 4) to eat any extras.

DSC07836Small.jpg

So where are their teeth?

I've taught them to jump an inch or so out of the water to get food (blood worms) as it hovers above them :D

lots of growth within the past week. those lights must be doing some good.

Thanks to zev, supasi, mystic and a tank at work where I grew some crypts; I now have enough crypts to add to the puffer tank, and the main tank.

Here is the tank now.

DSC07864Small.jpg

Just waiting on a proper diffuser that hans is sending me, and I can run a second CO2 unit.

PS- spot the congo fern :lol: