Fresh Water Shrimp?

DennisP

Hi Dennis and welcome.

The only freshwater shrimp available are the ones you catch in the local rivers or streams, there are no imported shrimp available at this time.

They are coldwater and require high oxygen levels.

Is it possible to get any fresh water shrimp for planted tanks in NZ? Never seen any... But i may aswell ask. Thanks.

Welcome.

Yeah - some coloured tropicals would be nice....

Don't get me started! :(

Waiting till we go out Tauranga way, Heir will show me their secret spot :wink:

Waiting till we go out Tauranga way, Heir will show me their secret spot :wink:

OOOOooo secret spot, I live in Tauranga and there are a lot of streams, creeks, rivers, outlets etc. But hard to get to the source of most of them as they usually start amongst private farms up in the hills. I don't like getting from water further down as who knows whats been washed off into it. There are about 6 outlets in my area (Ohauiti/Hairini), all are used as drains for wash off from streets etc.

It would be good if LFS had more information on safe collection and keeping of our native FW Shrimp. Or possibly selling at LFS.

Anyone with any known spots to collect FW Shrimp from in TGA?? Preferably ones that aren't on private property, and that are easily accessible by road/vehicle

:bow:

Not a good idea to put our native shrimp in tropical tanks.

As Zev says they need high oxygen levels - and the amount of dissolved oxygen lowers as the water gets warmer.

That's why I was going to do a shrimp tank :wink: Minimum size? Plants they like?

I haven't had much luck with shrimp, namely due to tankmates liking cocktails...

However, they would be fine on their own, and are really cute to watch running around with their noses in the air!

They don't eat plants, but algae and biofilms. Wonderful watching them picking virtually invisible bits of food off things and eventually clearing a little patch. Would take a lot to keep a tank clean!

Minimum size..... given that they grow to 3cm, I suspect water quality, temperature and oxygen levels are more important. All easier to do in a non-miniscule tank.

What would be the max temp these would handle?

Keeping too small a tank within these parameters would be a problem, especially with the ambient temps getting up in the summer.

Chillers do not come cheap - hey, you could con your Mum into fitting an air conditioning unit in your bedroom and keep it running all the time to keep the temp stable... :roll:

OOOOooo secret spot, I live in Tauranga and there are a lot of streams, creeks, rivers, outlets etc. But hard to get to the source of most of them as they usually start amongst private farms up in the hills. I don't like getting from water further down as who knows whats been washed off into it. There are about 6 outlets in my area (Ohauiti/Hairini), all are used as drains for wash off from streets etc.

It would be good if LFS had more information on safe collection and keeping of our native FW Shrimp. Or possibly selling at LFS.

Anyone with any known spots to collect FW Shrimp from in TGA?? Preferably ones that aren't on private property, and that are easily accessible by road/vehicle

Start by looking in the MOST public places :wink:

My secret spot gets hundreds of visitors every day during summer! :P

- hey, you could con your Mum into fitting an air conditioning unit in your bedroom and keep it running all the time to keep the temp stable... :roll:

She thinks running 6 tanks is bad enough, let alone chilling a whole room! Our house is pretty open but the hottest room only took a 108L tank up to 26C.

How does a standard 60x30 tank with extreme aeration sound?

I used to collect mine on the Kaimai's at the canoe club (after Poripori road the road goes up a hill and to the right, on the left side of the bend is a gravel area (if it's sunny lots of cars should be parked there), then you go down the steep driveway and to the river. Awesome swimming spot too so make sure you take your togs. If you can't find any there go back to Poripori road and have a look down there by the bridge.

Good luck and happy hunting

I used to collect mine on the Kaimai's at the canoe club (after Poripori road the road goes up a hill and to the right, on the left side of the bend is a gravel area (if it's sunny lots of cars should be parked there), then you go down the steep driveway and to the river. Awesome swimming spot too so make sure you take your togs. If you can't find any there go back to Poripori road and have a look down there by the bridge.

Thanks for the directions antwan, will have to take the kids up there for a look (and a swim if its a nice day)

Might be other critters there too, it gets quite deep up poripori just past the bridge if i remember

Went for a trip to the place mentioned above, few people down there, was about 5pm. Looked along a stretch of about 100metres of water, various depths from shallow to very deep, and couldn't spot a thing.

Did see a couple movements in the water, went over to inspect but what ever it was it was gone. If it was something it seemed to be there alone.

Complete n00b here :oops: am I there at the wrong time???

Are there any techniques?? Special tricks?

Best time to go? Day or night?

Best conditions? Fast or slow running, deep or shallow, drought or after rain?