Different sumps and how you have set them up

livingart

We have had a few questions relating to sumps lately

thought it would be good to see all the different sump set ups and how you find they work

i have a simple one that has run on my community tank for the last year

not ideal but i don't have enough room under stand for a proper sump

the PVC pipe is drilled full of holes and has ring baffles inside to disperse the flow

media is bio balls, noodles and pumice

barrelsump.jpg

yes it needs a clean

planted tank and a medium bio load

this sump is running on my reef tank

restricted to height so have run 2 3 foot sumps inline

media is coral pieces, a deep sand bed and caulerpa

skimmer is on the left of the right hand sump, would have prefered skimmer in the first chamber from overflow but sump was already set up that way

on the left is return pump

sandy1804.jpg

I want to spend a week at your place, seriously, I could spend all day just looking at your setups, never mind the fish. Thanks for the thread LA, if you get enough replies with different types of sumps, might be an idea to add how to's to those with out, and sticky.

my 2 1200litre tank runs the same filtration system.

in the entire set up are the following filtration.

2x fx5

1x aqua one cf1200

1x fluval 4 internal

1x tower trickle sump set up

1x secondary gravity draining trickle set up.

this is where the first stage is, that container has many holes.

disperses the water into even drips, then particles are taken by the filter wool.

Bio media amount on this set up is immense.

IMG_4094.jpg

once the water is filtered, it goes to the sump, Fromt he sump there is 2 return pumps, one for returning water to the tanks.

The other (black one) returns it to the secondary set up.

IMG_4095.jpg

The secondary set up in theory are clear water already, no particulates. So no filterwool there, just water being filtered twice.

Then it works on a ball cock system, taht opens a valve that drains the water to the sump again.

Then the blue pump will carry up the water to the tanks.

Here is a pic side by side, the entire set up.

IMG_4091.jpg

My filters, all of them in these 2x 1200 litres is probably 35 to 40 kgs wet weight.

Not many bioballs, i dont find them to be sufficient, more so ceramic stuff, eheim and aqua one stuff.

bargains on TM:D gotta love that site!

My feeding regime is massive.

Arowanas alone eat heaps, pellets as well as 5 times a week, i drop a ball of meat into the tank for bichirs to feed on.

I have recently up'd my feeding as caring for frasers bichirs and also wanna get my tt eel huge!

its not eating mealworms, beef heart, fish fillets, prawns, prawn heads.

started a sump description

anyone want to add to it?

A sump is an extra water area usually set up underneath an aquarium that will increase the total volume of water in an existing system; here you can place extra filtration media, equipment, such as a top up system. a skimmer, calcium or nitrate reactor on a marine system or heaters in a tropical setup. Sumps can be plumbed in inline via a Siphon Overflow box, or bulkheads in pre-drilled aquariums, a sump can be as basic as an extra aquarium, a large plastic container, or as part of a more elaborate wet/dry trickle filter or refugium. With some basic plumbing work, a sump can be installed to most tanks to provide many benefits.

The basic principle of a sump is to take water from your tank through a siphon or bulkhead to the sump, generally pass that water through a series of compartments filled with filter media then return the water via a pump back to the tank.

As they increase the total volume of water in your system sumps can help keep your water parameters more stable and less prone to fluctuations. Sudden changes and the concentration of chemicals such as nitrite and phosphate are more evenly distributed; just remember that proper maintenance and regular water changes are still necessary as you are dealing with a closed system.

Sumps provide an area to add extra filtration to your aquarium and can incorporate a variety of advanced filtration systems. Some of these include a wet/dry trickle filter where the water is dipersed over layered filter media in a column and trickles down through it to a sump area. Usually filter wool is the first layer to stop any large particles or waste food going through the filter

A trickle filter is an aerobic filtration method, this means the bacteria present only occur or live in the presence of oxygen. The more oxygen saturation it gets, the better it functions, When the water falls through the holes of the drip or trickle plate then drops onto or over the bio-media it allows for maximum oxygen saturation of the water.

Jenniferh added

The conversion of ammonia and nitrates is dependant on aerobic conditions which support the nitrifying bacteria nitrobacter and nitrosomonas - the more air you have, the better these populations can function. Anaerobic filtration is also useful - aerobic bacteria convert nitrates into free nitrogen gas. I found a good schematic diagram which helps to illustrate the point.

ill_nitrogen_cycle.gif

a sump trickle filter system, tower filtration what ever, really works in exactly the same basis as a canister filter or a hanging filter.

just a matter of volume and capacity and direction of flow.

but generally, its same principle isnt it?

to me, my sump set up is like an fx5 on steroids.

more media, more filtration.

wow nice setup!! I cant wait when I get a new tank Ill be trying out this sump pump things!

Iam sick of canister & internal filters, so far my filteration in my tank are canister, internal & extra underground/F, 3filters going at once too much operation!! :x

a sump trickle filter system, tower filtration what ever, really works in exactly the same basis as a canister filter or a hanging filter.

just a matter of volume and capacity and direction of flow.

but generally, its same principle isnt it?

to me, my sump set up is like an fx5 on steroids.

more media, more filtration.

A trickle filter is far more efficent then most other types of filters because of the high air to water ratio, there's a lot more to it than just more volume of media and water flow.

A trickle filter is an aerobic filtration method, this means the bacteria present only occur or live in the presence of oxygen. The more oxygen saturation it gets, the better it functions, When the water falls through the holes of the drip or trickle plate then drops onto or over the bio-media it allows for maximum oxygen saturation of the water.

correct any wrong part of that please

a trickle filter will never in my opinion clean the water as clear as canisters.

unless you have a massive current inside like reef tanks.

i found taht clarity was an issue, despite my water being very clean and good quality.

so adding canisters and internals clears it up rapidly.

i dont top up my tank, it over flows daily with my changer

correct any wrong part of that please

41.gif well said

The conversion of ammonia and nitrates is dependant on aerobic conditions which support the nitrifying bacteria nitrobacter and nitrosomonas - the more air you have, the better these populations can function. Anaerobic filtration is also useful - aerobic bacteria convert nitrates into free nitrogen gas. I found a good schematic diagram which helps to illustrate the point.

ill_nitrogen_cycle.gif