Octopus - urgent NO required

Hazara

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in my experience judging by the color mystic that is one angry or stressed occie :D

pale colouration is worried , camouflaged is you can't see me

after awhile and settled down they may put on a light show for you, red with white rings moving up and down the tentacles

an occie that is happy in its tank won't try climbing out, that is why it is best to get young individuals and grow them on

when really small they spend a lot of time hiding, i find a lot in beer bottles in the habour

they learn quickly and come for food

i used to tap my fingernails on the front of the tank to let one know it was food time

we were sitting in front of the tank having dinner a few months later

and i could hear a tapping noise coming from the tank

the occie was tapping 2 stones together to tell me to feed it :D

:o dwarf Octopus that is so cool. Time to go reread that marine guide by Carly.

Have just checked in an Octopus book. There are several 'dwarf' Octopus species in New Zealand, of which a couple should be in range of collectors :wink:Octopus gibbsi is found on rocky ground in 0 to 40m depth on the northeastern coast of the North island and grows to about 67cm in length (body+head+arms) so not quite a dwarf but still fairly small; Octopus kaharoa is found as shallow as 7m on the east coast of the north and south island from the Poor Knights Isl to Kaikoura and only grows to 39 cm in length and has long slender arms; and Octopus huttoni is found from 0 to 400m around New Zealand and only grows to 23 cm in length. At that sort of size you could maybe keep a couple in a large tank as adults.

We were given a small one once by a fisherman who found it in one of his nets. It was white and only about 10cm from centre to tentacle tips. We had a cold water rockpool marine set up and put it in there but hardly ever saw it as it spent most of its time buried in the sand. You could only spot it when it blinked :o

Unfortunately it escaped one night and in the morning we found it a bit dried out and fluffed to death on the carpet. :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

The two octopus have settled in well but only show themselves in the evenings.

The tank is in the lounge and they come out from under their rocks even with the lounge lights on.

I think the two brittle stars which came with them may have been devoured as they have not been seen after the first day or two.

I feed them small pieces of mussel and live crabs. They make short work of quite large crabs.

They seem to be getting a little more tame each day.

I have taken some pics but still have not mastered the posting of them on this forum.

If I could impose on someone to post for me that would be great, PM your email.

Cheers

WEKA

Thanks Hazara

Mystic has offered to post the pics for me.

I have included a couple of pics of my 600L cold saltwater which I have just set up again with the background now coated with resin and sand. Still a bit murky as only done yesterday. Temperature is up a bit as I am running on my backup cooling system while I add a water cooled condensor to the fridge unit.

Thanks Mystic

• 4 months later...

Hi Hazara

Unfortunately they both died last month. They were both doing fine and had grown quite a bit up until the beginning of June. The smaller of the two was looking a bit odd before I had a three day trip to Auckland.

I left them a few crabs to eat but when I returned the smaller one was dead and the big one was very sick and died the next day. I have no idea what the problem was unless they were a small variety and died of old age.

The crabs are still running around and all the water tests looked fine. I have a number of pics but are not up to speed with posting them yet. Cheers.