4 inch EBJD Sprawning?

Jaxxnz

Hi Members, I just purchase a EBJD from pet store, its around 4inch.

I just wondering are 4 inch fish mature? will they sprawn?

has any one got them sprawn before? does the out come of an EBJD xJD work?

I'm really excited and cant wait to experimint! :bounce:

I would like to say THANK YOU DAVID R he did direct me to the fish. :wink:

Pretty sure the answer to that question is no. Crossing EBJDxJD gives you what they call ?green jack dempseys, which will look like normal JD's.

In order to get EBJD you need to cross EBJD with a green JD. And about a half of the offspring should be EBJD. Assuming a simple recessive/dominant relationship, (2x2 punnet square, two genes for colour in each parent) in reality im sure its more complicated. Crossing two greens together giving quarter of offspring as EBJD.

There is a fair amount of info out there try the EBJD forum...

People also DONT recommend you sell the EBJD x JD green offspring... Diluting the pure strain population around the place i believe is the reason, would be a shame to lose our pure wild strain (well if thats what they really are... Ill assume thats what they are, cause thats the best we got here in NZ)

Anyway HTH, someone please correct me if im wrong, thats just kinda what i can remember...

Hi Members, I just purchase a EBJD from pet store, its around 4inch.

I just wondering are 4 inch fish mature? will they sprawn?

has any one got them sprawn before? does the out come of an EBJD xJD work?

I'm really excited and cant wait to experimint! :bounce:

I would like to say THANK YOU DAVID R he did direct me to the fish. :wink:

Thanks Duncan7 regards to the info, How can you tell if its a green JD or a standard JD, I notice all non EBJD all has green colour in them, their colour apearance mostly change? :roll:

AFAIK its not actually a colour change, im sure there are some that may argue, i believe its just a term used to describe the colour genetics of the EBJD x normal JD hybrids. They will just look like normal dempseys, so thats why breeders need to be careful not to mix the hybrids and again why they shouldnt be sold... easily confused with the normal one.

How can you get a hybrid from breeding a jack dempsey with a Electric blue jack dempsey? :-?

Im sure you understood what i meant... technically its a hybrid of sorts isnt it? Half EB and half normal, they are both different varieties of JD?

hy⋅brid  /ˈhaɪbrɪd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [hahy-brid]

–noun

1. the offspring of two animals or plants of different breeds, varieties, species, or genera, esp. as produced through human manipulation for specific genetic characteristics.

2. a person or group of persons produced by the interaction or crossbreeding of two unlike cultures, traditions, etc.

3. anything derived from heterogeneous sources, or composed of elements of different or incongruous kinds: a hybrid of the academic and business worlds.

4. a word composed of elements originally drawn from different languages, as television, whose components come from Greek and Latin.

–adjective

5. bred from two distinct races, breeds, varieties, species, or genera.

6. composite; formed or composed of heterogeneous elements.

7. composed of elements originally drawn from different languages, as a word.

I would argue that EBJD is Genetic morph of regular JD, so I'd call it a morph, or even mutation rather than hybrid.

Jaxxnz- I'd say it would be up to the Jd as much as EBJD if they were to spawn. But I would tend to think he's an inch or so too small if my memories of my reading on EBJD forum are correct.

PM me.

How can you get a hybrid from breeding a jack dempsey with a Electric blue jack dempsey? :-?

It most certainly is a hybrid, have a read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_%28biology%29

1. Hybrids between different subspecies within a species (such as between the Bengal tiger and Siberian tiger) are known as intra-specific hybrids. Hybrids between different species within the same genus (such as between lions and tigers) are sometimes known as interspecific hybrids or crosses. Hybrids between different genera (such as between sheep and goats) are known as intergeneric hybrids. Extremely rare interfamilial hybrids have been known to occur (such as the guineafowl hybrids).[3] No interordinal (between different orders) animal hybrids are known.

2. The second type of hybrid consists of crosses between populations, breeds or cultivars within a single species. This meaning is often used in plant and animal breeding, where hybrids are commonly produced and selected because they have desirable characteristics not found or inconsistently present in the parent individuals or populations. This flow of genetic material between populations or races is often called hybridization.

I would argue that EBJD is Genetic morph of regular JD, so I'd call it a morph, or even mutation rather than hybrid.

I found sme info article regards EBJD breeding, some guy got as far as taking the EBJD to do a DNA test.

EBJD is not a HYBRID, if they were the question is WHy there are no success in crossing EBJD x EBJD? the fry wont survive or if they did they are deform/mutation fish!

Special Thank to Andrew for the EBJD..now I got 2x,

My experiment has just began" :bounce: