Opinions / Advice needed re car!

tinytawnykitten

I am in the market for a replacement for my old Honda Odyssey.

I need a 7 seater and I would ideally like a car which has more than just your standard 2 airbags. My budget is around the $15,000 mark. After a little research, the only car I can find which is within my budget and meets the two requirements is a Renault Megane Grand Scenic, of which there are 4 on Trade Me.

Does anyone out there have any opinion on these cars and/or know of any other cars which would have the airbags and the 7 seats? I would like to avoid cars like Range Rovers or Landrover Discovery, which I know are mega thirsty and prone to problems. But if possible I would like to avoid a European car altogether as they seem more expensive to fix. We had an A class Mercedes for a while and it was a complete lemon (yes Johannes, you can say 'i told you so'!!!).

One of our business associates has a Renault - the dash is all electronic and has just stopped displaying everything, and I mean everything! He is cringing at the repair cost, because he has had it looked at before and it still plays up. If they start saying the magic words 'one of the computers must be faulty' don't expect much change out of several thousand dollars, as they have several, and despite them supposedly being able to plug into it and pinpoint the problem in an instant, it is sometimes not the case.

The other car they have is a Toyota Wish, which is a seven seater that is possibly in your price range. I don't know what the leg room is like, though. We used to have a Mitsy Chariot, which was fine when the kids were little, but when they start getting a bit long in the leg it is a bit of a squish.

We have a Peugeot 307 station wagon, 7 seater - don't talk to me about repair costs...

I also suggest that you check out the difference inbetween a say $10k car and a $15k car... are you 50% better off?

Most I have paid for a car/van is $10K except for once I bough a new van, got the same milage and reliability as I did from the cheaper ones.

Can you not get another Odyssey within that price range? (I have no idea of car costs)

I would love to, but I was thinking about airbags, and only the newest highest end Odysseys have more than just the basic two airbags. But then I also am now wondering whether it is good to have side airbags in the back or not! Maybe they do more damage than good?