Moving a 6ft tank?

Fruju

have moved them on a trailer before, used heaps of poly sheets to pack around it

flat straps are best towels or thick poly under straps

and no ties over unsupported class or directly on glass, not too tight either just enough to stop movement

a ute is good also, tandem axle trailer is better than single

Hey guys, im posed with the problem above, i was wondering if anyone has any experience or tips they could share on how to do it. Apparently a trailer is NOT the way to go, how about a moving truck?

I don't see why a trailer would be a problem as long as the tank is properly padded. Lots and lots of blankets or similar.

using a trailer could be an issue IMO if it is a single axle with no springs as the bouncing might cause a breakage. if you must use a single axle, unsprung trailer i would soften the tyres as much as you can without them running flat to lessen the bounce. Um, i think i have convinced myself that a trailer will be ok.

A friend of ours was given the opportunity to get (for free) a very large sheet of glass out of a building being demolished. He was going to use it to build a 6ft tank. Loaded it onto a trailer but did not tie securely enough. Going around a corner it slid off. The glass went a loooong way and took him ages to clean up! :roll:

Ive got to move it from waitak to browns bay on the shore, The tank cant lie flat coz there is the overflow outlet pipe at the bottom, i have to elevate the side with it on with poly, I have some large bits of of poly i could use but not heaps, I dont have access to atrailer, do the general ones they hire out have a tandem axle? What sort of strapping should i use? where do i add padding? Does anyone have a ute handy? :wink:

I'm not sure why the concern over single vs tandem axle trailers? The suspension in both would be extremely stiff given that they're carrying 0 weight and the spring rates would be specced for carrying a lot of weight. But I'd think the tandem axles being generally higher weight capacity would be stiffest?

I used a furniture trailer (like a horse float) to bring my 5ft up from Napier to Auckland. Padded if out well using blankets and duvets and there was no problem. However if you wanted to do this just check that a 6ft would fit. It wasn't expensive to hire from what I remember.

Single axle will be fine if you're not going at open road speeds, IMO.

Best way to do it is put on some beers and get a few otehr fishkeepers with experience in moving tanks to give you a hand. Henward would be a good one to ask given that he moved recently, and we nearly dropped his 1200L tank! :lol:

*edit* are you old enough to buy beer? :oops:

How many did it take you to move his 1200L?

Six of us, but with a lack of planning, a high stand and a confined space it nearly ended in tears. We didn't think about who was where when we lifted the tank and when the ones on the back moved around so we could lift it onto the stand we ended up with four strong guys on the front and two shorter and not-so-strong guys on the corners. The front went up but the back didn't, there was a lot of grunting and shouting, one guy was even underneath it lifting with his shoulder, and eventually we got it onto the stand.

I don't mind helping if I'm free on the day, I'll hopefully need some big-tank-lifting credits in the not too distant future... 8)