wat to put in my tank?

trav

i want to stock my tank up with some awesome fish and ideas? and wat set up should i go with? here are some pics of my tank and fish the 2 big dats i am just looking after after my friends arowana nearly ate him :evil: :evil: :evil: i have an at about 5cm 3x indo 4cm 6cm and 12-15cm and a leopard fish abou 7cm i have $500-$600 dedicated to buying fish for tank and making the tank look awesome !!!!! heres some pics of them i am feeding them:)

CIMG2896.jpg

CIMG2895.jpg

CIMG2892.jpg

CIMG2890.jpg

if you start looking for a 6 footer now and are prepared to wait the odd bargain comes up every now and again

i know it is hard as you want to get fish now

but having the bigger tank may allow your fish to grow a bit fasster

also with a bigger tank you can have more small stuff you can grow on and swap later for other interesting fish

by waiting i picked up an 8 footer for 400

• 2 weeks later...

not trying to be lecture-ish. but when you start out with fish, first of all, its an expensive hobby more likely than not:D

wether you keep small or monsters.

monsters need less decorations, more volume.

small ones need more stuff than water volume, but it all comes down to waste.

first here are my questions, if i missed it im sorry

1) what is the diet

2) what temp

3) what WC regime do you have?

4) when will you get a bigger tank?

reason for the questions.

you really need tp prioritise bigger tank. if you are feeding little to keep them small, then you will screw them up and stunt them.

these fish get to massive sizes, i mean...MASSIVE.

the biggest i have seen, ronnie how has - and they get so big.

if you keep them in that tank, thats fine, untill they are all about 15 cms, maybe pu shing on 20, but really... adding more to the tank isnt a good idea.

temps you should keep them 28c IMO.

Diet, get them onto pellets now. floating cichlid gold. if you have been feeding them prawns already then tis hard to get them onto pellets after that.

they can starve themselves for months i have heard and wont get onto pellets.

pellets is good because, its almost 50% protein, and it has vits.

But, as a cheaper alternative, BEEF HEART and PRAWNS...peels or shelled dont matter is good.

Fish fillets, calamari are also good and very cheap.

but remember, you ahve to feed 3 times more calamari to get the same protein as a particular weight of pellets such as massivore or sinking. but hey, just feed them heaps, you have an fx5:D thats a good filter.

water change is important, they will produce more and more waste, with your tank size, your NITRATE MARGINS are very small for such meat eating fish.

you gotta really change your water heaps.