My Man has passed away

seahorsecrazy

Sadly last night, my man finally passed away. :cry::cry:

He has spent well over a week with the swelling in his abdomen that we were unable to get right.

The photos show how he was floating on the surface when he let go of the plant he was hanging on to.

P1020602.jpg

P1020596.jpg

When he had passed away I took him from the tank, the swelling was rather firm, and when I took a sample of the swelling, it was full of fluid and immediately deflated his chest area. I took at least 0.3ml from his chest.

I have a photo of the fluid if anyone can give me some answers...

DO NOT LOOK AT THE NEXT PHOTO IF SQUEAMISH!!

P1020604.jpg

Not sure if it was a type of infection that had gotten into his chest as suggested a couple of times, or just something that happened for an unexplained reason. It seems that my thoughts of gas bubble disease were horribly wrong... :oops:

I can only thank those who offered kind words, and support with suggestions and advice. Everyones help was much appreciated. Im just sorry it didnt come to a happy ending.

Hope everyone else has a better start to the new year.

Again, thank you :hail:

Yes there is a little blood in there as well, not an easy thing to avoid when drawing the fluid off.

The initial fluid was the colour of plasma (blood carrying fluids) Almost is if it is the results of a bruise gone wrong?

Could he have ruptured something having the babies I wonder? He did only have 12 that I found (while vacuuming the tank...)

I am really at a loss for an answer.

I guess i was looking for an easy answer and gas bubble seemed to fit the bill... :(

How sad. :( He was very cute and it was great to see you nurse him so diligently.

That is a huge amount of fluid for that little body to lose. It looks to me like like it could have been ascites (commonly known as dropsy) which essentially is fluid that leaves the bloodstream and pools in a compartment like the abdominal cavity. It is caused by a number of things, most commonly organ failure or infection - although it doesn't look too cloudy so it may not have been a serious infection if that's what it was.

If all that fluid was trapped in his abdomen it wouldn't have been in his bloodstream where it belongs so that could have caused some significant problems for his blood volume as it is essentially much like a massive haemorrhage of plasma. Also, the pressure of the fluid pushing on his organs would have caused problems. No easy answers but you can be very secure in the knowledge that you did everything you could for him.

Oh gosh, I am soooo sorry!

It was quite an unusual, strange and difficult case. Having positive bouyancy ANd concurrent oedema. ( which usually makes them go negatively bouyant) It does sound like he may have burst something during birthing...

Good on ya for trying, and for having the bravery to investigate & take that sample. It would be interesting to know more...

My sincere condolences :cry: