Scarlet pleco

Fruju

I was talking to hollywood staff yesterday about fancy plecs, im particularly interested in scarlet plecos due to their size and colour, would someone be able to post pics of theirs and maybe some experience. Cheers, and am i right to believe that they cost upwards of $150?

they cost $200, so anything under $190 is a relative bargain.

They get big, but how big is your largest tank. and which scarlet do you mean? as with most plecos there has been a bit of name calling with this species too.

henward has / had one.

I like the tails on them, all fire like and long.

L24 is smaller.

L25 is bigger, and ive seen them for sale here.

The last time I ordered a scarlet pleco in, i got this very weird looking pleco with massively long fin extensions. I haven't been able to find pics of that fish online to ID, but L275 is a possibility. havent seen that fish in over 2 years though, and I have no idea who bought it.

I had the impression that quite a few were sold here last year, and since this is the primary site for fish keepers surely someone has them?? :o

youd be suprised just how many fish keepers there are that dont use a forum, or have never heard of this forum!

many l25 and l114 came in late 2008 early 2009

alot of l25s died as they were fed incorrectly, they need more protein in there diet , and many that came form suppliers were getting fed spirulina, also people not getting told about this when purchasing would soon find there scarlets dieing.

if i rember right Mr.pleco may have some nice ones growing out

Adodge I think that was a case of a mis-named one from the supplier.

I know of someone with one, seems to have grown fast, perhaps from the 3000L+ tank or perhaps from the regular feedings of meaty food the tank gets, but I'm yet to see one with the bright "scarlet" fins like the internet pics. His has an orangeish tail and dorsal fin.

Mine is about 16cm now.

Quite black with a reddy orange flash on tail and fins.

They are quite a reclusive fish.

Yeah they came in about 14-18 mths ago along with 'leopard Cactus' L114 which is about same size.

Both are Pseudacanthicus genus.

I got one of each and have been feeding mixed diet with plenty of Novatab shrimp pellets.

I wish I got more of each but were around $200 each retail

They do get big but a pair of 25cm each bred in a 2ft tank in Japan, and as far as I've read are bred commercially in Eastern europe.

Unfortunately there is also hypostomus cochliodon which has acquired the "Scarlet plec" as common name and they are around at the moment.

See one of them is now on Tm as "Red finned blue eyed"

Ironically just cleaned that tank today and my L25 was out but didn't bother getting a pic-nxt time

This is a link to the fish many are correctly talking of as Scarlet Pleco-L#25, and is what I have-

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/sp ... ies_id=188

and this is Hypostomus Cochliodon which was wrongly given "Scarlet pleco" as name from importer and has appeared as such on wholesale import list for the last 6 mths.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/sp ... es_id=1324

Many are now determining wrongly this fish as scarlet. Some even have determined to give it even another name.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =265786201

Why it couldn't be given its correct name i can not explain to you.

To get a shot of My L25 I would need to dismantle my rockwork in a 600ltr tank which I'll do nxt time I give it a good clean