Why does the male guppy chase the female guppy around?

breakaway

Male Guppies only have one thing on thier mind and that is the reason for the constant harrassing.

It is this exact behaviour(sp) that leads to the rule of 3-4 females per male, as the harrassing can ;lead to stress which leads to disease and can lead to death.

hoe this helps.

You will know when the feale is pregnant as her belly will start to swell

B

He wants a bit more than a bit, and once she's had a bit, she is always prego as long as there is a male in the tank with her to keep her happy.

She can have up to approx. five lots of babies without help from the male. But normally you'd remove the babies from the tank as soon as they are born, as the males don't worry about incest or being underage.

Alan 104

I've got a lot of plants, plus floating plants in my tanks. Good number of the fry survive in there, also the fry feed continuously on the microalgae on the plants.

I feed them very fine fry food.......try to feed at least 3 x daily and do small frequent w/changes to compensate for the extra food going into the tank. Biggest killer of guppy fry is fouled water from all the fine food you feed.

Usually the female guppy looks as though she's going to burst just before she drops the fry.......square looking, though it's not as obvious when they're very young with the first drop.

If you don't have any fry food when the babies arrive you can crush some flakes into a very fine powder.....then crush it again into almost dust and they should be able to eat that.......just don't do what I did the first time ;) gave my 3 fry enough for 30 :roll: had to do a rather rapid w/change to get some of the food out!!

sue

Once one drops she wil be ready to drop again in 2 weeks if not earlier. all my guppies are onto their second lot and I have only had them for 3 weeks now.

i disagree, the only reason for a female guppy not to release all her fry every 4 weeks, is either the water conditions are to bad, or stress! therefore the females you have that are dropping a few first week and then dropping the rest after 2 weeks must have one of the above?

Shae 250