January 13, 201016 yr comment_349028 Ok so I've got 800ltrs to heat up and keep at around 25deg. And i have these two choices in mind... 1sthttp://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=265343402 Aquarium Stainless Steel Heater 500W 2ndhttp://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=264341238 Eheim Jager 300w Heater 1st the 500W seems to be good as it is stainless steel so prevents me from breaking a glass one, however it costs more and i do not know much about the brand and how reliable it is. :-? 2nd the jager is a well known reliable brand BUT, I'm not sure if i am going to be able to fit it in my sump. i might just be able to squeeze it in :-? What to do....? Anyone have any advice on what i should go for or if there is something better to heat my tank. Thanks. Report
January 13, 201016 yr comment_349031 get a jager. do not listen to any one else, if they beg to differ. get a jager. :lol: don't look back. Report
January 13, 201016 yr comment_349034 I'd say Jager too, but I've never used the other brand. Not sure if a single 300watt Jager would handle 800L, I know they say it's rated for up to 1000L... but if it gets down to like 13 degrees in your house like it does on some days in mine a single 300watt may struggle a little. Just something to think about. Report
January 13, 201016 yr comment_349042 the jager! the 300w is rated for tanks up to 1000L! its just over 500mm long 8) Report
January 13, 201016 yr comment_349044 the jager! the 300w is rated for tanks up to 1000L! its just over 500mm long 8) We all know companies and their "ratings". Usually in ideal conditions. I still think you'll need more than one. Report
January 13, 201016 yr comment_349045 We all know companies and their "ratings". Usually in ideal conditions. I still think you'll need more than one. i do & also believe that jagers is correct. my 300W easily out performs 2 150w heaters i had of another brand. Report
January 13, 201016 yr comment_349057 Jager jager jager. Dont be a cheapscate, buy the best and reduce the risk of frying your fish! With $1000 worth of lifestock I wouldnt dare look at a cheap heater. Report
January 13, 201016 yr comment_349060 you could always run a jager in the tank that way if the sump pump stops working the fish are still heated then put a 150w in the sump for a backup Report
January 13, 201016 yr Author comment_349061 its just over 500mm long 8) I have 400 long, 300 wide & 200 high for space but if i put it on an angle it might fit. how long is the element or how much of the 500mm heater do i need to have in the water? I'd say Jager too, but I've never used the other brand. Not sure if a single 300watt Jager would handle 800L, I know they say it's rated for up to 1000L... but if it gets down to like 13 degrees in your house like it does on some days in mine a single 300watt may struggle a little. Just something to think about. I also have spear 150W & 200W heaters that will be going in as a backup Jager jager jager. Dont be a cheapscate, buy the best and reduce the risk of frying your fish! With $1000 worth of lifestock I wouldnt dare look at a cheap heater. the 1st heater costs more than the jager. cost is nothing to me for my fish, im more after something that is going to be more efficient but don't want to buy something thats not going to fit or not reliable. you could always run a jager in the tank that way if the sump pump stops working the fish are still heated then put a 150w in the sump for a backup This is true but i was looking forward to an equipment free look on this tank. How ever if the jager doesn't fit then it may have to go in the tank Report
January 13, 201016 yr comment_349064 It should fit if you put it diagonally across the bottom of your sump... maybe not lie completely flat. Providing I remembered my 3rd form maths... which I can't guarantee... Bottom diagonal^2 = 400^2 * 300^2 = 250000 Bottom diagonal = 250000^1/2 = 500mm exactly so yeah... Report
January 13, 201016 yr comment_349070 It should fit if you put it diagonally across the bottom of your sump... maybe not lie completely flat. Providing I remembered my 3rd form maths... which I can't guarantee... Bottom diagonal^2 = 400^2 * 300^2 = 250000 Bottom diagonal = 250000^1/2 = 500mm exactly so yeah... Pythagoras is not pleased. You used the wrong sign. Report
January 13, 201016 yr comment_349072 the new jagers are fully submersable, only the top inch or so can be out of the water though. it will fit on an angle & from the tip to the end of the element its 340mm. Report
January 13, 201016 yr comment_349088 my lfs has there's lying on the bottom of their sump. Yeah we have ours just sitting in the sumps, same with quarantine too. they arent even flat on the bottom, just sitting there. does the job. Report
January 13, 201016 yr comment_349091 I would not put a heater straight on the glass. glass on glass and the heat has caused about 4-5 qt tanks to break down here. I had to replace them today. Report
January 13, 201016 yr comment_349093 I would not put a heater straight on the glass. glass on glass and the heat has caused about 4-5 qt tanks to break down here. I had to replace them today. jagers come with those plastic white round thingies that go on the bottom of the heater to prevent contact between tank and heater Report
January 13, 201016 yr comment_349142 jagers come with those plastic white round thingies that go on the bottom of the heater to prevent contact between tank and heater what do they look like? it had a white plastic thingie for when it was in the box, is that the same thingie? Report
January 13, 201016 yr comment_349162 what do they look like? it had a white plastic thingie for when it was in the box, is that the same thingie? Yes. it sits near the bottom of the heater to keep the bottom off the glass as the suction caps are usually half a kilometer away at the other end of the heater. :lol: Report
January 13, 201016 yr Author comment_349180 Ok so i think i will look at getting the 300W jager, hopefully it fits. Report
January 13, 201016 yr comment_349183 thats just packaging for shipping is it not? i use the clamps that came with the jebo heaters that failed. they are designed to be vertical i think so their bracket works sweet that way. good choice si, they also have a 3 year warranty. Report
January 13, 201016 yr comment_349187 thats just packaging for shipping is it not? I'm pretty sure it's made for in the tank... I have mine on the bottom... Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.