Spotted Bristlenoses / Rio Ucayali, whatever they are

phoenix44

The key thing is to keep them seperated from the plethora of other Ancistrus.

Hopefully you got at least three breeding groups there P44.

Maybe start selling off spare groups in the future to others who can do the above to spread them around.

But the moment they start being sold as singles issues will arise as ID's will get lost.

Maybe we can call them sp 'Rio Ucayali?NZ' since they were given an ID after they arrived

But the moment they start being sold as singles issues will arise as ID's will get lost.

That's precisely why I won't let them come in the shop for just any one to buy. Customer orders only. Those that know about them generally know what to do with them.

Maybe they will reach 2 feet long if they are growing so rapidly. Or maybe they are just being fed too much!

I think they are very well fed. They have a belly like a cat fish at the moment but they keep eating so I keep feeding :wink: I know I should limit their food but they are healthy and happy so the food just keeps going in to the tank

Just cross refference your fish "Rio Ucayali" with L148, as the 2 are extremely easy to confuse the picture P44 has is of Rio Ucayali.

Oh and another often confused just to add to the confusion is Ancistrus leucostictus.

HTH

Confused by whom and where is this confusion taking place?

Please tell me your comments extend beyond transcribing info off the net.

So are you willing to state categorically that the fish in P44 photo is bonafide Ancistrus sp Rio 'Ucayali' as it reads like that in your post.

Brave call as I would tend to suspect that even those who came up with this ID are now questioning the merits of their methodolgy as they now watch a fish that was juvenile and they ID'd based on adult photo's off the net of a very specific fish grow to be something very quickly that make that ID at the very least questionable.

I'm thinking of running a book now to see how long that name lasts as the penny drops for a few individuals of the

ramifications should Bonafide Sp Rio Ucayali actually get imported.

This has been a very enlightening process to any who wish to look with two objective eyes.