Feeder Bugs

Charlie

from the grass where they were hopping :D

my back garden is a breeding ground, long grass, native bush, piles of stacked timber

all insects running around at the same time everything that eats then is hatching

nature is a wonderful thing

1/2hr with a whitebait net and 5 or 6 days food is there

set up bathtubs full of dirt and flyscreen tops to house them

Thought there was a big thing about posting the links to that Fishkeepers site? :-?

How about ya list the stuff ya breeding Hans, instead of a link? :-D

Easier to show my project and i will be updating the details later this week.

How about you get off my back and let me help people since you dont provide any info to help Charlie in this thread?

Your best bet is to remove the eggs to hatch in another location or remove the breeders to another location. If you can get to it even better to have a number of raising areas so you have groups of a simalar age. It is then easier to keep track of your replacement breeders so you have a continuous supply coming and to sort out the sizes you want for feeding out.

I have success using growing grass and put it in a glass of water to keep it fresh. I understand the actively growing grass produces a hormane that stimulates the locusts to breed. At this time of year a lot of grass stops growing and goes to seed so you need to be choosey where you get it from. I think repto's question was reasonable and that is why I suggested you put the eggs into another place to hatch. I have a number of containers with locusts at different stages of development.

not smart at all.just trying to give you some help.Cabbage and bok choy do not sound the best to give them.I feed ordinary long grass from a reliable place that does not have any chance of being sprayed.even small traces of insecticide may not kill your locusts but will render them sterile!I live in an orchard area so have to be real choosy.lucky there is an organic farm nearby and I can get daily supplies as I need them.Kikyiua grass you get round akld is good and easy to find.Grab a handful wrap a rubber band around and put in a glass of water making sure it is a tight fit so they can`t get into the water and drown.They will mow it down flush with the glass top then replace with a fresh one.You can gather a few bunches and store in a plastic bag in the fridge for few days.also give them a small dish of bran flakes,no need for water as they get it from the grass.I know someone who uses cotton wool soaked pads but I have never bothered.

could be a week before mating and another week to lay eggs. Eggs hatch in 11 days so I move the eggs out once a week. Keep the bottom of the breeding setup clean or they lay in there and don't hatch. I have glass hatching containers with mixed sizes and the neonates climb the glass and can be removed to other raising places. If you can't get grass you can sprout wheat, but it is a hassle.