Lizard breeders

reptilez

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok if 250 is a good deal at bird barn i might get one from there.is feeding baby bearded dragons expensive cause i would rather have a beardie then a bluey.

Blueys are cheaper to feed aye.

The beardies are 3 months old and unsexed.so will they be expensive to feed??

thanks Matthew

well at a young age they are insect feeders, so it all depends on what you feed them.

Crickets can be expensive if you have to buy them constantly, think its around $25 for 25 at a pet store. However you can start to breed your own and save big $$$ but if you should choose to do this i suggest you get a steady supply ready before you make the purchase of the dragon.

If breeding insects isnt for you then you can also feed him mealworms, cricket, locusts dusted in calcium/minerals as needed, this would be a stable diet until he can be moved onto vegies. I have heard of them eating cat food but would be weary about feeding such foods. I believe in keeping it as natural as possible, crickets are not natural but they are a form of live food and provide simulation.

WARNING: if feeding crickets donot leave them over night in the tank, they have a habbit of annoying your beardie and will nip and bite at the toes and eyes!

yea you need to get your food source ready well in advance for them, i am getting Leos at the end of the month and i am starting my worm cultures now...

Took me 5 months to get a culture to the point of being able to supply enough for 3-4 leo's.

hope you are doing a bit more than just worms

Mealworms have been credited by breeders for many many years now, when dusted with calcium and vitamin powders appropiatly.

Large US breeder have reported that they can reach 40g in 4 months!!! thats heavy being a adult female weighs around 55g

no yes i am getting them through biosuppliers until my culture is ready. (yes i know their cultures are sterile so i have sorced others)

If you push a reptile to grow too fast by feeding lots of protein chances are you will end up with MBD. Pushing a leopard gecko to 40 grams in 4 months is asking for trouble I think. In my view too many people super feed reptiles to get them to breed sooner and I don't think it is a good thing. Of course you would expect the males to grow a bit faster.