Green water in tank

juggernaut

Has anyone had green water in their tank before. I can't correct it and it is very frustrating as i can't see my beautiful little fish. Water changes help it temporarily but after a couple of days it goes back to being a thicker green colour. Carbon is being used and i change it every time i do a water change so it doesn't expel and of the impurities it may have absorbed. Ammonia is non-existing and pH is at neutral. There has been little spots of green algae at times on the glass of the tank but nothing out of the ordinary. little bits of beard/ hair -like algae on the hairgrass but that doesn't seem like it could cause the water to go green as much as it is. The daily amount of light on the tank is 10 hours and the tank is positioned in a shady spot but can get a little sunlight on it at times and perhaps could be in a better position if required.

Please help with any logical suggestions because my logical solutions have been exhausted!!!!

welcome to the forums :D

Regarding your problem, most algae is caused by an imbalance of light and nutrients. I doubt the carbon is helping the problem also how much light is your tank getting? (sunlight included) lowering this could help quite a bit

Hi and welcome. I too wonder how much sunlight your aquarium is getting as you mention small dots on the glass. Where are you? (It would help if you added your location to your profile - click on the User Control Panel at the top right of the page and find where to add it there). Where does your water suply come from? Mine is artesian and I find algae can be a problem over the summer months when the water table is lower. I suspect a higher concentration of nutrients for the algae to consume.

What size is the tank, how long has it been running and what species, and how many, fish do you have? What is the pH?

Have you tried cutting back on the feeding?

What sort of lights do you have and have you changed one of the tubes/bulbs lately?

We solved this in our 60l tank by doing a big water change, then blacking out the tank for 3 days, then doing another big water change. We discovered that it was caused by early morning sun shining on the tank, so we now put a towel over the tank every night, and only remove it when the sun is no longer hitting the tank in the morning, and we've had no more problems.

i had that in a tank that had been fine for a year!!! i was going to change it around anyway and change the gravel too so i just emptied it completly,did the changes i needed too then refilled it,kinda like a 100% water change but left the filter alone :),let it recycle then added my fish,havnt had problems yet :)

Yea pretty new to all of this so take it easy on me!! Ha. Awesome replies i've been reading these forums for a while now and i thought someone would have some possible solutions. Water in the house tank has just been bought and im unsure where this is fetched from but water was going green just before this so i has to be something to do with the light. My aquariums water capacity is 200L and it contains a pleco, about 6 platys, 2 golden algae eaters (they munched back the brown algae problem i had a few months back), 2 X-ray tetras, 6 cardinal tetras, 2 loaches (forgot what type!!!) and 2 other tetras (forgot what type those are also!!!!!). Relocated from Rotorua and tank has been cycling for about 3 months in its new spot.