cant believe the conditions of the african cichlids in oz

trace&steve

we have just got back from our holiday to brisbane and we were so excited to go check out afew big fish shops around qld

we couldnt believe how under fed and skinny alot of them were so over crowded in tanks heaps were diseased :o

even there display fish were horrible they didnt really have anything different from what we already have or can get here in nz

except the milomo they are so cool so im going to try get some in another one i would like is the fusco's very pretty does anyone know of anyone here breeding them :-? :-? :-?

but we were very happy to come home to all of our babys :lol: all were well got alot of mouths full of fry :wink:

also cant get over our babys have grown its very exciting :lol:

but then with the bad news our dog was put in a boarding kennel and she had a fight with another dog causing us a $600 bill :o :evil: does anyone know if we have to pay this shouldnt it be the boarding kennels fault for not putting her by herself she is a staffy cross bull mastiff people freak what a bad dog but she seriously isnt she wont even take food out of our kids hands wouldnt hurt a fly this other dog must have pissed her off to make her do this we never signed any contract saying we are reasonable..... we have our dog back made my other half go get her :wink:

hope everyone had a safe and happy christmas and new years.......

no the lady just put her in with these smaller dogs that were nipping our dog as she was getting put i there ...

and no i wouldnt expect the persons dog that if mine was attacked to pay thats why we pay boarding kennels they are getting paid to look after our dog you would think they would have some kind cover running a business i would have thought :-?

did you pay to have the dog kept separately?

and would you expect to pay if your dog was the one that got attacked?

just wondering..

It is a shame that the fish were in poor condition :( Maybe you went to the wrong sorts of shops? I think you also maybe fairly spoilt for choice down there with so many shops and local breeders as alot of the stuff that comes through the wholesalers in NZ can be pretty sad looking too..

Regarding the dog I can't see livingarts link at the moment but I would do some research and/or maybe contact the kennel club.. I would think it is the kennels responsibility to keep yours and other peoples dog safe, but then again I could understand if they did charge you for vet bills because what if your dog was a phyco (not saying yours is) and beat other dogs up. But then again they should keep them all separate to avoid it happening, did they ask you when you dropped her off if she was socialized and if they could put her with other dogs? And like Phoenix did they have different options/pricing for keeping dogs together?

but then with the bad news our dog was put in a boarding kennel and she had a fight with another dog causing us a $600 bill :o :evil: does anyone know if we have to pay this shouldnt it be the boarding kennels fault for not putting her by herself .

Having worked in a boarding kennel it is definatley not good practice to put dogs from different families in together. I would recommend contacting someone re: advice on the legal matters here. Can you obtain a copy of their kennel contract? (i know you said you didnt sign anything) BUT this is their slip up for not getting you to sign something. This will help back things up if it turns nasty.

I'm not sure what it's like over there, but unfortunately we do have a lot of fish shops that don't know half of what they should.

I was in a local one the other day and they had a tank of Gourami's with white spot. The girl knew nothing about the condition but did say she would tell the owner. Two days later.. they are still for sale. I spose they'll either die or get brought by some unsuspecting newbie.

Usually around the major cities you'll find a few good stores, but they are few and far between. I order all my fish online these days.

I'm not sure what it's like over there, but unfortunately we do have a lot of fish shops that don't know half of what they should.

I was in a local one the other day and they had a tank of Gourami's with white spot. The girl knew nothing about the condition but did say she would tell the owner. Two days later.. they are still for sale. I spose they'll either die or get brought by some unsuspecting newbie.

Usually around the major cities you'll find a few good stores, but they are few and far between. I order all my fish online these days.

think you will find things the same the world over, some good, some not so good

offtopic but lowndsie, you are a ford fan & from bathurst? my uncle is in bathurst. he stays at the Cnr Browning Street and Brook Moore Avenue.

I don't really follow the races mate, even though my last name is very familiar with the ford fans. :D I'm actually in a small town a little out of Bathurst, but I'm a truck driver and I go past your uncles place quite often. Small world aye :D

I don't really follow the races mate, even though my last name is very familiar with the ford fans. :D I'm actually in a small town a little out of Bathurst, but I'm a truck driver and I go past your uncles place quite often. Small world aye :D

maybe you do deliveries there?