Theoretical .... best filtration setup for a 200 litre tank?

dcase

A lot of topics discuss filtration for specific requirements (various tank sizes, existing filters, etc) and many different views are expressed on the likes of 2nd filters, pre-filters, fluidised filters, etc. Those views are given by highly knowledgeable fishkeepers with a lot of experience and I respect alll of them.

I thought it would be good to encapsulate the different views and have chosen a theoretical 200 litre tank as I think it is a good average size to base an opinion on.

So, if you had a new 200 litre tank to setup from scratch, what filtration system would you choose and why? I also know some fish have special requirements so to keep it simple lets make the 200 litre tank a community tank (rather than say, Discus or Cichlids).

BTW I have several tanks including a 200 litre. I am always looking to improve my setups which is one of the reasons why I look at the topics on the forum.

regards

kiln_lane

1. what fish?

2. what are the tank dimensions? (4ft long or 3ft etc etc)

My planted tank (link in signature) is a 200L 4 ft tank or so, with 2x Fluval 405's @1300LPH each and 1x Eheim 2028 @ 1400LPH or something like that. plus the occasional use of a powerhead (600LPH) for non-filtration related secret purposes :o:D :lol:

I think the best filtration method is very debatable..

Some will say the best is a 3000LPH external, others a big sump or maybe even undergravel filter maybe with reverse power heads on the uplifts..

Personally I would say for most uses a 1200LPH filter would be perfect for the job and more than capable of filtering for a moderately stocked tank.

I have a 200L tank with 1 huge 1200LPH hang on the back filter, and one 1200LPH canaster.. But also have a 150L tank heavily stocked with 2 small bubble filters in it that keep the water crystal clear, and have a 200L also running a single bubble filter these seem to do the job really well..

All depends what you like and what suits you.

after recent events of others i have changed what i thought was a good filtration setup, i thought that the more the better which still isn't bad at all. i used to aim for 10 times the tank volume of filtration per hour & i do still think this is very good, but only for mechanical filtration but now think around 5 times will be fine. taking out the left overs will reduce how much will affect the water parameters eventually so if they are taken out it must be good.

i tend to think that most of the biological filtration is done by the tank itself, the bacteria in the substrate IMO does alot more than the stuff in an external filter. when setting up new tanks i have always used existing media in the filters, existing substrate & some water from existing tanks never lost a fish after adding them on the second day, an issue arised when another member did the same except for the substrate & he had issues which makes me think that the substrate does more than i initially thought.

so i think, for a 200L tank you should have somewhere near 1200LPH (i have 2200LPH which probably isn't so important) of external filtration & at least an inch cover on the base of substrate.

personally i don't think you can have too much filtration

you can have too much flow in the tank though

So how do you cut down the flow without sacrificing the filteration?

I have a cf1000 on a 100ltr tank which makes a fair bit of current. Have turned the spay bar in a direction where the flow is least disruptive but wondering what other methods are available?

Also tried slightly shutting off one or both of the taps but this of course will decrease the filteration.

Cheers