New Planted Tank!

antwan

Righto, the wheels are finally in motion and my new tank is coming along nicely! My mother and stepdad drove down to Christchurch a few days ago and brought my old tank, light, filters, etc. so these last couple of days I have had the pleasure of setting it up. I bought some dalton's aquatic mix from bunnings and got the substrate from Jolliolli so hopefully the plants will love me for it. The thing I was lacking the most though was a nice piece of driftwood and to be honest I didn't feel like forking out $40 for an average piece from a pet shop, so I did a quick search on here and came across a post by Hazara saying Waikuku beach was a nice place to get good driftwood from, so I set out there today and as soon as I walked onto the beach (very nice beach by the way, reminded me of home..) I found the perfect piece!

Stats:

Dimensions: 600x500hx450mm ~135L

Lighting: 150W 6500k halide

Filtration: sponge filter at the moment, I have a canister that I may rig up if I can find room for it

Heater: 150W

CO2: DIY

Me: happy

Anywho, here are a few photo's of me setting things up..

My stepdad whipped me up this support for the halide, it's very sturdy and has room for the ballast too

SAM_0144.jpg

Aquatic mix

SAM_0147.jpg

Filling

SAM_0148.jpg

Where I'm at now

SAM_02011.jpg

Basically what I'm wanting to do with this is have a carpet of hairgrass at the front right hand side around that lone rock, a dense area of small crypts on the front left. Some java fern around the base of the wood, with xmas/java moss around a few of the branches, and finally some barclaya/aponogeton's/stem plants at the back. I also must get a piece of black paper or plastic for the back as it looks yuck at the mo.

As for fish I'm not 100% yet, but definitely a trio of some sort of apisto (either really nice cockatoo's or something rarer (pm me if you have these :wink: ), otto's, bristlenoses, cories, and some sort of small schooling fish (maybe even guppies....maybe). Right, that's enough for now, pics will come as things happen. Comments/criticisms welcome.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all.

Small update: Got a few plants off Jenniferh the other day so planted them up and got a few Blue Cochu tetra's to help with the cycle. I plan to have ~9 of these all up and I think they will be a nice contrast against the plants. I've got a few more plants coming this week and I can't wait to get my hands wet again.

The fish seem very happy and have had a nice feed of insects that have landed on the water's surface over the last couple of days. I haven't had much luck in finding apisto's but there are a few A. trifasciata at Redwoods I could be tempted to buy later on down the track.

Anyway, enough yabbering on

201209fts.jpg

Has it reached yet? :o:o

Has what reached where?

Got a few more plants in here but I went away for a few days so the plants didn't have any light over this time and have suffered.

I set up some DIY CO2 today and I'm waiting on Organism to re-open so I can get some more plants/fish.

DSCF1292-Copy.jpg

with flash

DSCF1291-Copy.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've had a massive battle with staghorn algae but I'm slowly getting the better of it. Due to a lack of funds I haven't bought many new plants, just the ozelot sword on the right, but once I get myself a job that will change. The fish are doing well too; the apisto's have a batch of fry swimming around and the tetra's spawn regularly.

Supasi shared some pics a while ago of threadfin rainbowfish on Fishkeeper's and I think they are very pretty so a small group of them is on the list too.

010210.jpg

what is with everyone getting staghorn all of a sudden?

12+ years of keeping fish, and the first time i heard of it was last month when my tank got it, and now it seems really common. :o

Exactly what I've been thinking recently. I had never heard of it either until I saw your pics, then I got it real bad.

Looks sweet Ant

I bought some more female Threadfins yesterday for my males.

I also had a pair kindly sent from BIGBOSSMAN.

I really want to successfully raise some fry this time.

I have an endless supply of green water now.

Im glad the apistos are going good. :wink:

Nice! They look awesome. None of the chch shops have any in stock which is a shame (I was hoping animates would have them for the buy one get one free thingy, but no). From what I've read it sounds like it's a pretty tough job raising the fry but I would like to give them a go too one day, good luck to you!