good DIY CO2 mixture

Chogs

For a similar setup I use a 2 litre bottle, 2 cups sugar, 1tsp yeast, a pinch of baking soda and a smear of marmite. I fill the bottle 2/3 to the top with warm water and shake well (over a sink) to mix. I keep the bottle right next to the warm canister filter in the cabinet and it lasts 2 weeks going full steam with the plants pearling every day. After that it will last 2 additional weeks with good plant growth but no pearling. I add fertlizer root balls and add flourish comprehensive every other day. In one tank I also add flourish excel and the plants do very well with that and the added CO2 injection.

HTH

Edit: oops! I meant 2 litre bottle, not a 3 litre bottle! :oops:

Which plants?

The dwarf sag is heavily pearled and the hairgrass 'gasses off' (i see the bubbles rising but I don't see the bubbles clinging to the leaves). In another tank the crypt balansae and ludwigia produce string of pearls as do the vals, from the plant base.

DSCF1818.jpg

DIY CO2

I simply fill a coke bottle to the bottom of the label with luke warm water. Not hot!!

I add sugar and shake till dissolved. Add more sugar, shake until dissolved. Keep doing until no more sugar disloves.

Add one heaped teaspoon of yeast. Shake and connect to co2 line.

Lasts about three weeks and has a steady output rate the whole time.

Simple as that.

But remember , there are many ways to dkin a cat. What works for some may not work for others.

Hope that helps

If you go to the Homebrew shop and get some wine yeast and add that to a mix of 2.5 lbs/ gallon along with a bit of yeast nutrient you will keep it going a lot longer than bakers yeast. If you add 2.5lbs/gallon of ripe elderberries and use a heat pad you will have a medium wine for next xmas (better the year after) Wine yeasts will ferment to a greater concentration of ethanol than the others and therefore keep going a lot longer.

Wow thanks for all your replies that is really helpful

Jenniferh do you have around the same light as me? (2wpg)

Thats an amazing photo!

should I use one 2L bottle or two 2L bottles so when one stops making co2 I can have another one going to make up for it,or is this an overkill?

thans again for all your replies :bow:

Jenniferh do you have around the same light as me? (2wpg)

Forget WPG, it is too often in accurate. Imagine putting 4 watts of light over a 1 gallon tank, you'd have 4wpg but not be able to grow much. Intensity is more important,

should I use one 2L bottle or two 2L bottles so when one stops making co2 I can have another one going to make up for it,or is this an overkill?

Just one should be fine, the plants won't die due to lack of CO2

I set up tank today (40g) but I bought a "plant" bulb from redwood aquatics its a Growth Lux tube its in the right spectrum but it puts out a realy dull rosey red light and it doesnt light up much of the tank what are some good T8 tubes for plant groth that dont give out a redish light are there any?

The other light I have in there are two 24w pl tubes should I place these in the front of the hood or the back for better effect?

what could I use as a reflector?

sorry for the subject change...

I set up tank today (40g) but I bought a "plant" bulb from redwood aquatics its a Growth Lux tube its in the right spectrum but it puts out a realy dull rosey red light and it doesnt light up much of the tank what are some good T8 tubes for plant groth that dont give out a redish light are there any?

The other light I have in there are two 24w pl tubes should I place these in the front of the hood or the back for better effect?

what could I use as a reflector?

sorry for the subject change...

Just a standard daylight tube from a wholesaler or Mitre10.

The tube will have either 6500k or 865 on the tube.

865 stands for 8= tube size, 65= 6500k

HTH

Who me??

See here http://www.fishkeepers.co.nz/forums/vie ... 729#p16729

where did you buy yours from?

I had my glassblower friend make me my first one and it worked so well I ordered a few more from the states. I haven't investigated if you can get them comercially here but they are very popular in Japan so I would think they are easy to import... not sure though.

• 2 weeks later...

This is all good advice for a good co2 mixture, the only thing that I would add would be to add some baking soda to your mix - this helps prevents the pH getting too low and killing the yeast, just makes it last a little longer. This is what the "stabilizer" is in the commercially available Nutrafin system.