Leopards

Charlie

well perpin,as a previous breeder of these geckoes,what sort of numbers could one expect to raise from each female per year?

The weird thing about these for me is years ago when orana park had them and had some sort of problem or other they could not find anyone that wanted them.Eric Fox from otorahanga kiwi house took them and ivan had alot.Lack of interest knowhow or whatever led to a lack of males being produced and all of a sudden there was only one male left?now all of a sudden they are flavour of the month and everyone wants them for one reason or another?some to make their fortune?others for their own personal enjoyment /hobby whatever.

price will fall as demand falls... however we still pay $300 for a reeves turtle and they have been available for many years... I see them hopefully staying around the $500 mark so not everyone/anyone can get their hands on them. I dont meen that in a bad way but i saw some poor kept red eared turtles the other week, people can but them for $30-5o bux and have no idea on what they really need... (i also know that there are many many keepers out there that would look after them that coudlnt afford them) its just that no everyone is going to splash $500 on a pet reptile...

true but in NZ we have a small reptile communit, and same with our economy. Not many people can just simply afford to splash thousands of dollars on reptiles/fish/birds without and genuin reason? i mean if i wanted to i could go out and get a turtle set up for a few hundread bucks, doesnt mean allot to myself and i could just neglect the turtles because a replacement is only $40 and i can get them anywhere nearly anytime... however for such a leopard gecko a set up may cost around $750 then i have to locate a breeder then pay around $1000-1200 each and thats something allot of kiwis cant do.

• 2 weeks later...