Leopards

Charlie

Well I have managed to track down a breeder and will if all goes well have 5 of the little beauts by the end of January 2010 (3-4 females 1-2 males)

Now I was really really really keen to breed for Morphs but due to my genetic research it will mostlickly be impossible unless i get VERY VERY VERY luck...

I am also doubtful that any of these Morphs are in NZ aswell...

So what are the chances of MAF putting together a IHS to import some males of these MORPHS so i/someone could import them? I mean with the big reptile research that someone did recently into diseases present would there be a way?

So what are the chances of MAF putting together a IHS to import some males of these MORPHS so i/someone could import them?

Absolutely zero. MAF aren't interested in importing reptiles, you'll need to put up the cash and do the work yourself.

How about you just try breeding some normal leopards and get them established here, the more people there are breeding them the more chance of some interesting morphs appearing there is. That is if you actually get them...

• 2 weeks later...
I mean with the big reptile research that someone did recently into diseases present would there be a way?

I encountered only a handful of leopard geckos during my Salmonella survey and it is impossible to draw firm conclusions on the disease status of an entire species with such a small sample size (hence why I am trying to do some statistical prevalence estimates, mentioned in another thread).

One thing we could do is a bioclimatic model, similar to the one just completed for red-eared sliders. For this I would just need location records (records of where these animals are found in the wild). As I don't have much data on this species, I was not going to investigate them in detail in my thesis, but if you are interested in persuing this, feel free to PM me location records (and the reference from where you got them from, like a field guide, etc...) and I'll try to put something together.

Cheers,

Heidy.

A request for a IHS has been made to import Eublepharus macularius from the USA. Someone obviously has the money and patience required,

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files/re ... equest.pdf

good luck, the success of the application will not be related to its merits....

in the mean time:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=43009

Its kinda funny to look at the regulations in NZ from an outsiders point of view. MAF/Biosecurity seems even more pathetic now.

Comon', if the aussies can come up with a system that works.....

I am happy to help if I can. When I was last in the States they could not BELIEVE how much we paid for leopard geckos...

Thats probably your best bet, instead of keen people with little money here trying to back it, get someone with cash who would benefit financially from being able to export their stock here to do it...

You still need your experts to come up with the required information to dot the Is and cross the Ts. They are bureaucrats so they only believe the experts. Judges believe lawyers (even if they are lying through their teeth) and the IRD believe accountants (even if they are lying through their teeth) because they both use a disclaimer "I am informed"

You need an expert who can tell them what they want to hear in the way that they would like to hear it. Don't fight the system, best to use it.

At the very least it may finally determine the status of leps since they are here already and it seems impossible at the moment to get a written answer from Maf.

Heidi, I am not suggesting you have or would lie through your teeth and I have a lot of respect for your knowledge and offer of help. I am sure any expert help would be much apreciated by NZ's lep lovers. I wonder if it is possible to find out who made the application using the freedom of information Act.

they are not hard to breed? afew getting out there now.Remember the price of beardies a few years ago?5 years time they will be a dime a dozen.

Bigger clutch size with BD's though.

Was traveling in OZ this month with a guy who ran a pet store in the states and he was laughing about our prices on reps.