would giraffe cichlids be ok with nics and cobalt blues?

Matto

giraffes get really big over time, around twice the size of the cobalts & can also be very aggressive.

i think it would depend on tank size to be successful, how big is your tank & how many giraffes are you intending to have? groups of each will give you a good chance i reckon.

that is the only thing Ive got so it will have to do .

You will end up with a male giraffe being the only fish alive then so it wont do.. Giraffes get to 20-30cm and while they aren't overly aggressive they can pack a punch, your pair will need a big tank (300L+) and lots of rock work to stop from killing each other anyway, as per usual africans are not pair forming they breed in harems and need multiple females to lesson the aggression on the females.

If you only have that sized tank then keep them separate until you can re home them or buy a tank that will humanly accommodate them. The tank you have is only big enough to keep a pair of Nics at best it is still too small for the cobalts and definitely too small for the giraffes.

they seem very happy in my tank .

I can't see any way that you can keep that many big aggressive africans in such a small tank and have it work long term did you do any research on the fish before purchasing them?

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/n_venustus.php

"This Hap grows to be quite large, and at 8 or 10-inches this fish can be quite an eye-catcher. N. venustus needs to be kept with other large Haps once it starts to get some size, otherwise, smaller tankmates may be considered as food. Sexually active males can be quite aggressive; therefore, several females should ideally be housed with just one male of the species. The recommended tank size for an adult is at least 125 gallons. They can be fed a combination of pellets, flakes, and live or frozen food, although once they reach 3 or four inches, flakes are too messy and should be discontinued."

Just FYI your tank is around 130L so around 30gal and being taller rather than longer makes it even more unsuitable for these fish.

I don't suppose this guy was in the tank too?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42747

he has gone to fishy heaven for some reason.

i have 3 large venustus my males 23cm and 2 female at 18-19cm there tank mates are

8x livingstoniis at 5cm

a pair of borelyi 8-12cm

pair of auratus 10-12cm

maleri gold peacock10cm

6x greshakei's 4-6cm

trio of electric yellows 5-10cm

they are housed in a 670litre tank with heaps of hiding spots

they are not huge at the moment so next year i will most likely put them in another tank or pass them on because of the tank size . the peacock was not in that tank he was in a 3 footer .There has been no aggression between the pair so far and i may sell the cobalt blues.

Bugga. I will send you a few of mine 8)

were those the ones I sent you? :(

__

Matt0-

I too think the 620T does not have the foot print needed for those cichlids. the giraffes get huge and fast! I had 2 in a 3.xx foot tank with a wide foot print, and within 2 weeks my giraffe grew, beat up the other giraffe, killed him/her and then i had to trade that one with ryan.

There are plenty other nice alternatives to stocking a 620T, like a planted tank.