L-46 Query (Zebra Pleco)

danilada

L066 don't look much like them but are probably pretty similar as both are hypans, both probably have similar behaviours and requirements.

L400 posted on a different thread looked similar with the same colouring but vertical stripes rather than horizontal.

Some Leopard frogs also look similar to L400 but are not hypans. I think from memory their no is L136 or L134.

no idea of availability of these in NZ. Wouldn't mind finding some. I think most hypans are prohibited from being imported. I don't know the ins and outs of it but if thats the case then no amount of love or money will get new fish into the country.

Chocolate zebs( L270) are readily available now with 2-3 breeding programs going.

Babyfish in Akl sells good sized juvis for $50.00

but colour is chocolate brown over caramel type colour not white with black brown as per L46.And not with the L46 blue eyes either that need to be seen to be believed.

DSC_0024.jpg

L270 will also get to 12-15cm where L46 8-10cm

I'd say L134 peckoltia sp. "Leopard frog mouth" would be the closest thing to L46 in size and colouring and while not seen here( not to be confused with 'leopard frogs' that were), the genus itself is allowable so no reason they can't come in.

Google image it. I reckon if they came in the hoohaa about L46 would take a knock. Stunning fish

The king tiger(l066) has squiggly stripes but will get to 15cm as would the

L260 Queen Arabesque

cat-EPV0024.jpg

L136 is different colouring but closest to L46 in size

cat-EPV0042.jpg

All plecs listed are Hypancistrus species except L134

I'd say L134 peckoltia sp. "Leopard frog mouth" would be the closest thing to L46 in size and colouring and while not seen here( not to be confused with 'leopard frogs' that were), the genus itself is allowable so no reason they can't come in.

If only the authorities were smart enough to allow generic dispensations in cases where the entire genus poses no threat...

no idea of availability of these in NZ. Wouldn't mind finding some. I think most hypans are prohibited from being imported. I don't know the ins and outs of it but if thats the case then no amount of love or money will get new fish into the country.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/biosec/c ... sornic.all

The document you want from the list under other supporting documents:

Submitted and assessed additional Freshwater Fish - present in NZ Link to PDF document (20 KB)

Page three, last entry.

thanks Zev. I'd heard rumours of a new list but hadn't seen it. Nice to know theres a few plecos that will soon be officially allowed (goldie plecos, gold nuggets, and blue phantoms) plus a couple of Hypancistrus: the zebra pleco and the Colombian zebra pleco. Its certainly a step in the right direction.

what I find interesting is the state of list as supplied by Zev.

If it is as it reads it is a diabolical shambles with clearly no consultancy with any entity that has a clue of the current environment and designated ID's

If that is a template for importation possibilities no wonder we are repeatedly frustrated by erroneous IDs in plecs

Very interesting. In the States or Europe things like Zebras are practically a dime a dozen. If they are allowed then I can't see why they wouldn't be available here for around $150.

I don't know if I'd call them a dime a dozen. Maybe your dimes are worth WAY more than mine. After some investigation it looks like they're about $400 NZ each and out of stock on the couple US sites I could find that advertise them. Given that fish prices for FW fish in the US are generally half what we pay here or less I'd be surprised at anything less than a $800NZ bill for one here. And that isn't out of line with the prices I've seen for them in the past.