Just brought my first tank!

Blairsowman

haha yes i know they arent the best looking fish in the world.

But the natives hold a special place in my heart (im a hydrologist by the way :D ) so thats probably one reason.

I wouldnt mind having a couple of freshwater crays as well.

Anywhere in town that sells driftwood? - landscaping places?

And sand -so i can grow some plants - i went to palmers but they dont sell aquatic plants.

Anywhere in town that sells driftwood? - landscaping places?

Almost all pet shops will sell it, fish shops definitely will. As for landscaping places, they may sell it, best to ring and ask.

And sand -so i can grow some plants

Mitre10 Mega has 25L bags of coarse or fine sand for around $6, may have Silica sand and good aquatics/pet stores will have it but they tend to be more expensive

problem with that is that there are no specialty fish shops in the region, and i don't really want to pay the $20-$40 price tag that the pet shops have for a piece of wood. I think my best be will be going to the beach and looking along the water line.

Any other places in Palmy besides the pet shops that sell aquatic plants????

depends on the sort of aquatic plants you want. I don't think there are many places apart from wet pets and animates that sell submersed plants. one of the garden centre places used to apparently.

I usually order good plants in that are not expensive, but they get picked up within a day or so.

phthththtbtbtbtb! to everyone putting down the little brown fish! They also come in grey, olive and sandy brown, with touches of silver, gold, yellow, bright orange, bright green and... brown.

Blair, you live in the right town! :) I would be more than happy to show you my natives and take you fish hunting if you wish :)

Have a look at my photos and videos linked below, and there are a lot of threads (even a whole natives section of the forum!).

(a hydrologist you say? Are you going to the freshwater sciences conference? ;))

Ah, good point Phoenix.

Natives like their ground area, and a large water/air surface is important for oxygen levels and the hood would get in the way of heat loss.

It could be treated like a standard 2ft tank, but it could only be very sparsely populated.

Next tank? ;)

(and thanks, Caryl! note: she saw the tanks when they were in a right state too!)

I didn't know that.

That's why I'm new :lol: .

I think I'll stick with my original plan of a tropical tank.

Still deciding what to put in it though.

Next week (or this weekends) the big shop to get all the accessories, and get the tank set up.

Then a week or so after I'm aiming to get some fish!

I would like a native tank, so that might be next on the list.

Next week (or this weekends) the big shop to get all the accessories, and get the tank set up.

Then a week or so after I'm aiming to get some fish!

Fun fun! :bounce:

I remember my big shop, VERY pricey. Now I can see I could have done it better for cheaper. :x

Eheim are certainly good quality but also more expensive than the rest. I have only had one Eheim and had such a negative time with it I would never buy another but I am in the minority.

Also used Fluvals over the years but find them not as easy to pull apart for maintenance as others. Mine also clogged a lot (barbs nibbling off lots of leaf bits which got up the pipes)

AquaClear I have used for years and find they go well. Not as good as an external filter though as they don't hold as much media.

My favourite at the moment is Jebo (not to be confused with Jebao or something). I have had mine almost 3 years now and it is great. I clean it out once a year and it is going strong. Can't say how it will go long term as I haven't had it long enough.

Angelfish will be happy with any plants but will lay on wide leafed plants.

Angels will go with most fast, short finned community fish like barbs, rasboras, tetras etc and larger fish like cichlids or gouramis.

Got a few more accessories

Eheim 100w heater

Gravel (20kgs for $9 from bunnings :D )

Dual air pump (one way valves and hosing)

Gravel cleaner

Thermometer

Its time to clean the gravel.

I'll find some stones and some driftwood, and buy some plants next week.

How many days do i need to let it cycle for?

Ive been told everywhere from 1 day (with water treater) to 3 weeks??????

ALSO is the water treater good????

Cheers