Need lots of help with plants :(

Dave+Amy

Hey guys,

I had a whole backdrop planted full of some Val species (can't remember) but they have now all melted away :( this is the same with three large tiger lotuses I had..I do waterchanges every 2 days with temp slightly cooler (23-25deg) than tank temp (30deg), I have had added a little bit of prazi as the usual worming treatment (every few months) but have always followed up with big wc's and it's never affected plant growth before. I have fert balls between the Val plants and my sag that I got off Phoenix.

I am at a lost at why my plants aren't growing like they used to and why all my val melted...would also like to know which are hardier plants that can handle frequent wc's.

Thanks

I'm not sure if this relates because I've never had Val before but when I first setup my first tank, the plants hardly grew. After a while they went nuts! Then a long time after that, they started to die. Changed the light tube and they started growing again. Magic :wink:

have never thought about the light tube..how long do light tubes last? Mine's a 10,000k glow-lux which has always worked fabulously and I got it in around Dec or Jan?

I haven't used snail-rid worried about the effects on my Discus, but I have Prazi'd my tank..the only med I've used in the last few months.

I had this happen as well bout a year or so ago, but I don't know why either. I'm just wondering if 30 degrees might be to high? although Val is pretty hardy. Also maybe you could be shocking the plants with a water change every 2 days thats 7 degrees cooler? Sounds like that tube is nearly a year old, should be changed every 6 months, but mind you I haven't changed mine for ages either. :)

Your plants should technically be ok.

I use a LOT of flourish and the sag. is never affeted. Val is a little sensitive to it - though people on theplantedtank.net use it fine with not complaints.

I know you won't be overdosing it with your discus in the tank, so I don't think that is the issue.

your lotus melting away could be because of the light - but to be honest you are supposed to change the tubes every 11months or so. Not changing the tubes immediately after that won't really cause that much of a problem.

How is the sag. subulata doing?

and what lights were these again?

hey thanks for the responses - will definately pop down to the electrical store for another growlux tube to see if it fixes the problem

-No flourish excell - heard it would melt the val (can't remember from where I heard this.. :-? )

-the Val came from another Discus tank and an African tank so they would've been alright with 30 deg (?)

- P44 your sag are spreading, they've adjusted :)

-10,000K growlux lighting (so needs to be changed yearly?)

if you quarantine and done then you don't have to dose your already clean fish, nor do you have to worry about all the other diseases the new fish are potentially bringing in. *All* new things should be quarantined and observed to be clean for 2-4 weeks before you introduce them to your tank.

How do you know the parasites are causing problems?

I did a bit of research into internal parasites (my fish are all wild) and came to the conclusion that the chances of a parasite actually causing any problems was pretty low. With fish it is very hard to tell if they have them, and even if they do and you worm them there is a very low chance you will see any change in condition. The parasites actually want to be pretty benign - your host getting sick and dying is not helpful to the host.

My native parasites tend to have different stages requiring different hosts, so the chain is broken once they are in the tank.

Anyway, that is my $0.02 on different fish, your mileage may vary.

I don't quarantine my fish, but having said that I don't buy from petshops if I can help it - you notice little things like one of my Pigeonbloods went off food, stayed to a corner, stomach got really caved in but after prazi it came right - if it had just been bullying then it would still be continuing. I just prefer to dose so everyone gets it, the Discus don't show any adverse effects to the prazi either.

I did a bit of research into internal parasites (my fish are all wild) and came to the conclusion that the chances of a parasite actually causing any problems was pretty low.

Yes, and current research is showing a growing correlation between over-deworming and asthma and allergies in dogs and cats and in humans indicating that some internal parasites may play a beneficial role in promoting a healthy immune system.

jennifer, thats very interesting :)

random but on parasites :D

hookworms are being studied and trials have shown just recently that when put into human who couldnt tolerate gluten most could again with some short time frame...(chinese whispers may have blurred my comment but its somthing along those lines :lol: ) so very likely parasites play a good roll in there somewhere. abit like good and bad bacteria maybe.

if healthy why treat it..if not healthy you shouldnt really add it to your tank. If a fish is sick in your existing tank then it probably should be separated anyway.