Can you keep glass tanks outside?

axolotl-danio

I am being given a 120cm long tank (unsure of other dimensions) and don't have room for it inside the house. I was wondering if it would be ok to set it up outside. I could build a stand out of wood and have a sloping lid to stop it overflowing when it rains. does anyone see any problems with my idea? What should I keep in it? I was thinking maybe inanga but don't know much about their requirements.

You dont have a garage to consider? Im moving all my tanks bar 1 to the garage next week, hows this, I sold my targa tuned 81 golf gti, not for the money, for space for blinking fish! What on earth is happening to me, there should be a vacine for MTS

Im blaming all of you! lol but thanking you at the same time!

HAHAHA a vaccine for MTS! Love it!!

Definitely a cool shady spot if you want to do natives. No direct sun for temp/algae issues (remember to think about where the sun is at different times of the year). Air movement at the water surface helps a lot with evaporation-cooling.

Bullies, inanga nad crays seem to deal with temps a bit better than the others.

In Nelson you would have to be very careful where you put it. I remember Billaney attempting to breed fish outside in tanks last summer but found the temperature got too hot and was hard to regulate.

How big were his tanks do you know? as a larger tank would be less susceptible to temperature swings.

All under 3ft I think but don't quote me. :roll:

Outside, the size of the tank will make little difference to what temperature it can reach, although it will have less swings to it. My paddling pools I breed the fish in get over 28C (and over 32C at times on really hot days).

You dont have a garage to consider? Im moving all my tanks bar 1 to the garage next week, hows this, I sold my targa tuned 81 golf gti, not for the money, for space for blinking fish! What on earth is happening to me, there should be a vacine for MTS

Im blaming all of you! lol but thanking you at the same time!

you are indeed in need of a vaccine as this is the advanced stages no doubting that.

there is a vaccine.......... do you really want to know what it is?

dehydration?

its a two part cure, first a circular metal device is fitted to a finger & the second part of the treatment is a substance consumed orally. It often includes small pieces of fruit & a very thick white layer on the outside. I am guessing that he has not been involved with these previously as he has a race car & fish tanks. :D