Tiger Barb Prob

humvee

Have just done a water change on one of my tanks, and refilled with premixed water to the right temp, and hubby asked why all the tiger barbs were swimming upside down - I had 5 in the tank and every single one has died :o

I thought tiger barbs were quite a 'hardy' fish, we've had them in the tank since sept (been meaning to sell them on behalf of our fish club but just haven't had time) and they've had a number of water changes and a couple of tank moves with no problems.

Have looked at them quite closely, no cuts, all their fins are fine and they look really healthy (other than the fact that they are dead). A couple of them have died with their mouths open. Suggestions anyone??

hi all

we changed 3 other tank's water at the same time, all the fish in them are fine. the barbs died before we'd finished refilling the tanks, and the distraction caused a slight flood :o

the tank that they were in is divided, but water can flow through to both sides, and has platys, guppies, gbas and a couple of angelfish, all appear to be fine

now that i think about it a bit more, there were quite a few bubbles rising up out of the stones while i was cleaning, so it could have been a gas buildup like you get in sand sometimes, but i cleaned the tank only 2 weeks ago so i'm not sure what would have made it build up so fast when there was nothing last time.

guess i will just have to chalk this one up to 'fish mysteries' which is a shame because they were such neat fish

Hmmm, I suspect you are right about the gas bubbles although who really knows? It does sound like a toxin due to the rapid death and the fact that the other tanks were not affected. What a shame though. Horrible when there are unexplained losses like that - it is so hard to know what NOT to do again next time!