Barter Network - Christchurch - NZCE

aquadude

Hi all

I used to be a member Of PLains Exchange Barter Society, many years ago ( now disbanded )

Though bartering has been around for a many a centuries ( such as I'll give you wheelbarrow of vegies for you to make me 5 chocolate cakes ) the modern concept is through joining a network like this the alternative form of currency as called talents(1 talent = $1.oo )

eg there are 3 members

Mary

John

Bob

Mary asks bob to mow her lawn

Bob says yes - it will cost you 15 talents ( $T15.00 ) + $5.00 for petrol

Bob does the job and is given $5.00 for petrol

Bob via the website withdraws the $T15.00 ( minus the 4% levy that goies to administration) out of Marys account

JOhn advertises on the member list that his skill is gardening at $T15.00 an hour

Bob contacts john to do an hour of gardening

JOhn does the gardening

John withdraws out of Bobs account the $T15.00

Apart from the $5.00 cash that mary had to spend for petrol ( as Bob cant buy petrol with talents )

No money changed hands

other things that are great

no money to join

members get items, services & skills done & apart from stuff like petrol like the example of bob and mary

There is a $T500.00 debit system..so you can start spending before you earn

A great concept

PM me if you want me to send you more info on this

regarding the questions / comments

this is from the NZCE administator ( New Zealand Community Exchange)

re the Tax man. If people are in business then trades in the line of

their business are taxable and if they are registered for GST then that

applies. if they do a trade that is not a part of their normal business

then it is classified by the IRD as a hobby and is not taxable.

An illustration is as follows:- If a plumber fixes a leaky tap it is

taxable, however if a plumber does a flower arrangement for someone, it

is considered a hobby and is not taxable.

I hope this will satisfy every ones concerns.

Tsarmina

I know of barter card but have never heard of ozone

I too have heard of negative situations of bartercard

IMO this network is for non business, for the average joe (& mary) who uses their hobby, interest , home enterprise skills to barter with to get things that they are after..->IMO<--

Didn't these systems used to be called having a sense of community? Where I am we still have it to a degree, I have an elderly neighbour, I supply and manage her computer, do odd jobs, cut down tree's, keep an eye on her, etc, for this I have a key to her double garage (I don't have one), she collects my mail, feeds my pets when I'm away, keeps an eye on my house, etc. Same with friend's everyone has different skills and we help each other out.

I only difference I see between what we do and the "barter systems" is there isn't a middle man taking a cut to run it.

Times have changed I guess and many no longer know their neighbours :(

You are lucky suphew, as is your elderly neighbour.

We have a good system going with some of our neighbours too and keep an eye out when someone is away and clear each other's mail boxes. One neighbour has just lost his job. He wanted a trailer and noticed we had one tucked away in the back yard, obviously unused for a long time, so asked if we were wanting to sell it. Grant suggested if he cleaned up our back yard (very much in need of it!) and took away the old batteries (we paid the dump fee) stacked all over the place, he could have the trailer for free. We now have a lovely clean area and neighbour will get a trailer (as soon as we move the dead Isuzu out of the way so we can get it out) :roll:

Grant often does computer work in exchange for goods. We have a reasonably steady supply of whitebait, wild pork and venison, lamb chops and roasts, fruit, vegetables and seasonal fruit cake (from friends who are Jehovah's Witness or something who don't recognise Christmas so we can't call it a Christmas cake :lol: ). Many of our customers are elderly with a limited income but many grow their own fruit and veg, something Grant and I have discovered we suck at :roll: )

One person swaps computer expertise for her wonderful Dutch apple pie :wink: