October 24, 200916 yr comment_336776 Our back door has a hole in the glass for a cat door but has a security screen door on outside of it. Front door is wooden door but again security screen door on outside of it.. So wondering if you can have a cat door put in the security screen door. If so who would I get to put it in. Report
October 25, 200916 yr comment_336906 Without cutting a hole in the security screen in either door, the cat door would become useless when the screen door was closed. I have known several people who have had very successful cat doors put into a window with a windowsill the cat could reach (one even built a ramp for the cat to climb to the windowsill!). Any glazier can cut a hole for a cat door. Many "handymen" claim to be able to do so as well, though make sure you trust their abilities before they start cutting your glass Report
October 25, 200916 yr comment_336927 I think putting a cat door in the security screen would be easy to do, ask a company that installs or makes the screens. The problem may be if there is not enough gap between the two doors for the flap to operate correctly, unless your cats are able to pull the door open from the outside like some do when the door is set to swing one way in an effort to keep unwelcome 'visitors' from getting inside, it may not work. Is there already a cat door in the glass, you may have a real training effort ahead if the cat has to negotiate two doors! I am not casting aspersions on the ability of your cat, but the offspring of one of our cats would struggle to negotiate one cat door, let alone two! Report
October 25, 200916 yr comment_336928 why would you have a cat door in the security screen? When not just a hole, then fit the cat door to the house door? I also saw a cat door fitted into the side of a (wooden) house once. It opened onto the hallway from the back deck. Cat doors in doors and windows might be the easy place to install, but can prove to be a security risk. Report
October 25, 200916 yr comment_336931 why would you have a cat door in the security screen? When not just a hole, then fit the cat door to the house door? I was thinking this too. If the security screen is for keeping insects out, then maybe attach a flap of fabric or thick plastic over the hole, so the cat can easily push through it. Report
October 25, 200916 yr comment_336936 we used to have a cat door, it was a real pain as other cats came in & peed everywhere & eat the food. we don't have one now, the cats quickly learn if they aren't in when we go to bed they stay out. Report
October 25, 200916 yr comment_336942 I would think cutting a hole in a security door may well affect the structural strength of making it useless as a security door. I'd either check with the installer/manufacture (surely it must come up all the time) or just remove the door. I like the 'through the wall' option as well. I have man hole in a cupboard that allows access to under my house, I used to use this for the cats, the only problem was its in my bed room and got a bit drafty in the winter. Report
October 25, 200916 yr Author comment_336944 I would think cutting a hole in a security door may well affect the structural strength of making it useless as a security door Yes thats what we thought so have decided to put it in the wall. Thanks everyone for your advise. Report
October 25, 200916 yr comment_336946 There are 2 types of cat/dog doors. those that fit in glass only and the other that fits in wood / concrete. choose the right one, and most shops that you buy it from should have the number of a glazier (or someone qualified) that can install them. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.