New additions to my African Tank

phoenix44

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah Im careful with my fighters and overfeeding, its what made me end up training them to feed from hand. its Very hard to feed a fighter in a community tank without over feeding them Ive been finding, they'll eat just about anything if it means another fish misses out.

Thats good news n1ck! More for MEEE!!!

Hahahaaa yeah Im a lil bit of an over feeder I guess, well all but my corys will feed from hand now so at least I know exactly what they're eating and keeps waste minimal.

I know im a lil ahead haha, but just expressing my upmost interest :D and placing myself in what im sure is to be a long que :P

you are second in queue. I am first :lol: Always keep the first batch of babies.

then comes LA.

that is assuming I do in fact breed them, and do not kill them somehow.

I've cut their feedings down to 1 a day but my CT is still super fat :-?

I never could keep my super awesome expensive fighters alive :lol:

I never could keep my super awesome expensive fighters alive :lol:

:o:(

Very hard to feed a fighter in a community tank without over feeding them Ive been finding, they'll eat just about anything if it means another fish misses out.

Yeah, it's hard but not impossible. You just need to be smarter than the fish. Fighters have up turned mouths for surface feeding, so they will always be looking there first for food. So sprinkle so floating food in one corner, out for said fish to dash over then feed the other fish sinking food (flakes crushed under the water). Worked for me, then they died :o:(

yeah the thing is though, to not overfeed a fighter they dont take much at once, but corys take a little longer to eat, shes usually well and truely finished eating before the sinking food has even reached the bottom, but both my fighters feed on the bottom more then the top when its not given by hand. I usually, get the food held deep in between my fingers, with my hand curled so they have to get almost inside a loose fist, that way it takes them alot longer to eat that small amount of food, and, they dont see the sinking food sink. After that I keep their attention on me, this works great but means I have a 15 minute feeding time on 1 of my tanks, 10 mins with my hand in the water 5 distracting her. She also likes a tickle so that helps with distraction too. Dispite all this effort she still eats more then I would like her too lol.

:D

ornithon is for birds

or are you breeding flying fish :wink:

but it has so much goodness in it, it must be good for the fish :lol:

I just fed them and the babies again too :oops:

bit off topic but here is the rest of the setup and the breding tank, water changes done straight from the main tank, every day or 2.

DSC06205Small.jpg

DSC06204Small.jpg

DSC06198Small.jpg

DSC06197Small.jpg

Yeah, it's hard but not impossible. You just need to be smarter than the fish. Fighters have up turned mouths for surface feeding, so they will always be looking there first for food. So sprinkle so floating food in one corner, out for said fish to dash over then feed the other fish sinking food (flakes crushed under the water). Worked for me, then they died :o:(

Or just have a school of 10 harlequins (I want more :evil: ) when there is a blood worm right in front of one of my girl fighters the harlequins will dart and it and beat everyone else to there meals!!!!! (but they do eat kind of slow lol)

P44 and I thought my room was messy with fish stuff :o :lol:

That is not my room :o

I have the bird in my room along with alll my study stuff and computers.

the tanks are in my lounge. i stress the word "my" :lol: :o

I need more money :(

Do you think I should fill up a 4fter with cichlids (peacocks ect) or make an amazon planted tank...

(I cant decide >.< lol)

and in your first pic is that 2 of them on the right hand side of your tank about 1/2 way down??

The tanks do not break :lol:

the large tank has a safety factor of around 4.5 ish (I learned that today) and the small ones are safe too, but they wires are connected to fuse things, so they will blow in the event of a fuse.

although - how could i keep the multi boxes safe?

The tanks do not break :lol:

the large tank has a safety factor of around 4.5 ish (I learned that today) and the small ones are safe too, but they wires are connected to fuse things, so they will blow in the event of a fuse.

although - how could i keep the multi boxes safe?

A sharp rock can soon change that :P

Glad wrap could help :D (so could a plastic bag.....)

stick them in something???

Thanks! :D

The nano is a work in progress. it has glosso that grew like mental, but then I had to cover the glosso with a layer of gravel, and the new stuff is now popping through. good growth now. I had nutrients leaking up from the substrate and it turned the water green! I can never ever get green water when i need it. :lol:

so now i fixed it, put some more plants in there, and just have to wait for it to grow.

Im moving in a month and a half, so will just put them in poly boxes to be on the safe side.

things will be better organised in the next house, I collected most of the extra tanks this year without having a proper stand for the main tank - but now that I have a stand for the main tank, the spares will have a nice table to go on.

• 2 weeks later...

A sharp rock can soon change that :P

Glad wrap could help :D (so could a plastic bag.....)

stick them in something???

Glad wrap and plastic bags around multiboxes are dangerous - they would cause the box to heat up I would imagine. The best way would be to have them in a waterproof cabinet, or at least something over them to shield them.