Help setting up a planted aquarium

bobo

I guess the light will be the expensive part of all this...

All I can say is don't buy from your local pet or fish store if you want to save $$

FINAL FINAL questions... I add a couple of ml of Stres Zyme and Stress Coat every water change (as directed), should I?

Final? Sure sure 8)

I stopped adding it ages ago and just let my water sit out for an hour

Foot tall. Haven't decided on plants yet, since I haven't decided whether to pillage some streams or... gulp... buy the plants (gasp)!

Two tubes standard T8 (1x4000k and 1x 6500 or 10000k) or a couple of 6500k CFL energy savers should do. I can give you some cuttings of my plants in a few weeks for free if you'd like to pick them up?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the tube is 1.5ft long it will be 15w or its its 2ft long it will be 20w . its a t8 tube if you are electrically minded you could replace the tube with 4 23w cfl(the energy saver type light bulbs. that would giove you plenty of light if it sounds like too much you can get tube with a remote ballast like this http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.php?mid=12&lan=en i have one im not using if you want its a 15w fitting you would need to find some suitable brackets to attach the tube to ur hood and bam an extra 15 watts of light

I guess the light will be the expensive part of all this...

All I can say is don't buy from your local pet or fish store if you want to save $$

A trip to the hardware store then.

FINAL FINAL questions... I add a couple of ml of Stres Zyme and Stress Coat every water change (as directed), should I?

Final? Sure sure 8)

I stopped adding it ages ago and just let my water sit out for an hour

So, you leave the water you are going to add in, to air for a while? What does that do?

Foot tall. Haven't decided on plants yet, since I haven't decided whether to pillage some streams or... gulp... buy the plants (gasp)!

Two tubes standard T8 (1x4000k and 1x 6500 or 10000k) or a couple of 6500k CFL energy savers should do. I can give you some cuttings of my plants in a few weeks for free if you'd like to pick them up?

I will find out what that jargon means :) and I would love some cuttings! It would be much appreciated :)

if the tube is 1.5ft long it will be 15w or its its 2ft long it will be 20w . its a t8 tube if you are electrically minded you could replace the tube with 4 23w cfl(the energy saver type light bulbs. that would giove you plenty of light if it sounds like too much you can get tube with a remote ballast like this http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.php?mid=12&lan=en i have one im not using if you want its a 15w fitting you would need to find some suitable brackets to attach the tube to ur hood and bam an extra 15 watts of light

Cheers man :)

Cool. I'll see what 6500 lights are available and then try to figure out how to fix em above the tank (I do have practical, engineering mates...).

Cheers.

I'll keep you posted (prob through pestering questions more than anything else) hehehehe

I think I want to make a 'dutch style' aquarium, which if I understand it relies more on the plant life

You obviously haven't seen my tank then :P

then again the right side is only looking good at the moment :(

The JBL 7+13 ball seem alright, just shove them under the base of the plant (in the gravel)

I might be able send you some my cuttings of ambulia and a little bit of left over hydrophilia polysperma, rotola rotundfolia (thanks supasi :D) and a few rhizomes of java fern/ baby crypts if you wanted them as well (the rotola and polysperma isn't in the best of conditions :( )

You obviously haven't seen my tank then :P

then again the right side is only looking good at the moment :(

The JBL 7+13 ball seem alright, just shove them under the base of the plant (in the gravel)

I might be able send you some my cuttings of ambulia and a little bit of left over hydrophilia polysperma, rotola rotundfolia (thanks supasi :D) and a few rhizomes of java fern/ baby crypts if you wanted them as well (the rotola and polysperma isn't in the best of conditions :( )

Hey Nick,

I would love some plants! If you have some spare cuttings, let me know :)

The bit about houses burning down made me nervous. Anything even vaguely practical is foreign to me, but I wouldn't even get a mate to that, since i don't even have enoguh knowledge to know if they have done the job right or not.

I guess I will have to figure out another way to get the lights above the tank. You can't just buy brackets or lids or something?

Oh yeah,

Someone suggested putting Sodium Bicarbonate in the aquarium to produce C02. I assume this wouldn't work, or else everybody would do it right?

So I guess I will need to make one of those yeast and sugar bottles, the whole C02 tank thing seems a little hardcore and expensive.

So I guess I will need to make one of those yeast and sugar bottles, the whole C02 tank thing seems a little hardcore and expensive.

Baking soda helps stabalize this mix but just ups the pH in the aquarium IME.

I have one bottle running on all my planted tanks at the moment, the trick is not to hook them up to anything that creates pressure, ie an airstone or diffuser. I just have them going into the filter basket, outlet or straight into the water.

Ok.

I think I have everything sorted... but...

The lighting. I think this is the area I will just pay for convenience, while I understand you can get lightings and somehow fix them into my current lid, that just aint gonna happen with my world reknown electronic skills.

So, I'm just going to fork out for one of those systems that I can clip above my fish tank. I assume I can just clip to either side of the tank, on the glass walls, and it will just shine down? Do I need to worry about the watts of the bulbs? (I understand the Kelvin part - get a couple of 6500s or 1 6500 and 1 greater for a different colour of light). Do I need to reach a total level of watts for a 60l tank? Should I be looking at a two tube system?

Cheers again :)

Baking soda helps stabalize this mix but just ups the pH in the aquarium IME.

I have one bottle running on all my planted tanks at the moment, the trick is not to hook them up to anything that creates pressure, ie an airstone or diffuser. I just have them going into the filter basket, outlet or straight into the water.

Cool. I might experiment with the yeast bottles once I have everything up and running.

Sodium bicarbonate will produce CO2 in acid conditions but you will have no control over the rate. It will work until it or the acid runs out. Suggest you generate CO2, inject it, or add flourish excell (the easiest option)

It is a complete package or it does not work---strong light/ added fertilizer/ CO2.

Sodium bicarbonate will produce CO2 in acid conditions but you will have no control over the rate. It will work until it or the acid runs out. Suggest you generate CO2, inject it, or add flourish excell (the easiest option)

It is a complete package or it does not work---strong light/ added fertilizer/ CO2.

Cheers.

I think I'll go the flourish excel route; seems the easiest for a noob like me :)

I couldn't be bothered reading all the replies to you question so I'll just have a go at answering it :wink::D . Your tank already has good plants (those swords look good). First thing I'd do if get some black gravel. Even if you mix it with your white stuff. Then plant your tallest plants (the swords ) in the 2 back corners and place a few rocks in front of them to make it a bit more natural and then go to your lfs and get some sort of low growing plant (dwarf sag or hair grass) is pretty simple to grow then plant thayt around in the front empty space of your tank and leave a bit of room in the front for you fish to swim in. Then just dose your tank with a bit of flourish exel weekly and you'll, have a natural good looking tank thats simple to look after and looks good. Another thing for planted tanks is your Fish you have in it, I prefer 2 or 3 types of schooling fish and a few focal fish like rams and then have a cory or loach for the bottom.

If you want I can post a pic of my community semi planted tank I redone yesterday. The only thing is I have Black Beard Algae on some of my plants that will eventually go with flourish but at the moment looks a bit ugly